Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify is ALWAYS ON TOP (Windows 10) and unusable

Spotify is ALWAYS ON TOP (Windows 10) and unusable

For the past few days, my Spotify app on Windows 10 is stuck always on top. I can't tab to other open programs. I can't even tab to (or access in any way) a pop-up dialogue box generated by the Spotify app itself. I can minimize the app but as soon as I ALT-TAB to it (or maximize it), the problem is still there.

How do I fix this?

15 Replies

Hey @downtime68

That is a strange issue you're having!

If possible, try disabling hardware acceleration in Spotify (click the menu dots upper-left - View - Hardware Acceleration). Alt-key should toggle the menu to open as well. The app will restart after clicking on it.

I also recommend a clean install:

1. Close Spotify and uninstall it.
2. Go to %AppData% in Windows Explorer, and delete any Spotify folders you find in Local and Roaming folders.
3. Restart your computer.
4. Install Spotify.

Note: if you run a Windows Store installation, chances are there is nothing in Appdata. Try resetting the app's data as described here (the Windows Club), and reinstall following the steps in this article.

Also, make sure you've installed all updates from Windows. Especially any updates that have anything to do with drivers. 🙂

Let me know how it goes!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi. Thanks for your help.  Disabling hardware acceleration in Spotify solved half the problem: I can now ALT+TAB to other open programs which is great.

However, I still have the problem where I can't get to a Spotify dialog box that is sitting behind the Spotify app. Specifically it's the Facebook log-in dialog box (I'm trying to connect Spotify to Facebook). I can see the dialog box when I hold down ALT+TAB (see screendump) but I can't bring it to the top to access it.

I do have all the latest updates and drivers - in fact this problem began a few days ago when Win10 updated.

Image1.jpg

@downtime68

I'd suggest logging into Facebook before connecting Spotify to it.

Another thing that might be useful is making links open in new tab (instead of window). However you'll need an extension in Chrome for this. Check out the Stage 2 from this Quora answer.

At least on Firefox I don't get a popup, but a new tab when logging into Spotify with Facebook.

Let me know how you get on 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

a firewall may be blocking spotify . please update your firewell to allow spotify .. why i face this kind of problem ...please answer me ASAP

NewPicture037.jpg

If you're logging in using facebook, the window popup may be going to a connected secondary display like a tv etc, try unplugging any extraneous hdmi/output cables before logging in.

I don't have any secondary displays. It's just my laptop.

I'm not trying to connect Spotify to Facebook via the website, so the browser's not relevant. (This doesn't appear to be possible in any case.) I'm trying to connect via the desktop app.

Also, I'm not trying to log into Spotify with Facebook. I'm trying to connect (associate) the two accounts with each other.

@downtime68

I suggest trying to connect your Spotify to Facebook on a mobile device.

Check out this article on how to.

Let me know how you get on 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

What you suggest is not an option via a cell phone. Elsewhere I read they have removed this option, (Great!!)

Online streaming services are now part of our lives, whether it’s video or music. However, this type of service like Spotify has some limitations on the PC, such as recording songs for offline listening and their use on devices that are not connected to the internet.
But do you know that there is a way to select your favorite songs on Spotify and convert them to MP3 while maintaining high quality so you can listen to them on other offline devices? Here is how to download and convert spotify music to mp3

This helped. Thanks!

Usual support failed at support... again.

Streaming is bad enough.  How are artists, songwriters & producers supposed to earn any money from their hard work if you're downloading them for free??!!

Disabling hardware acceleration seemed to help me! Thanks!

For Windows 10 users, go to Spotify and click the 3 dots on the top left. View > Hardware Acceleration, then turn it off.
or
Edit>Preferences> Scroll down to Advanced> Enable hardware acceleration.

Hope this helps for those viewing in 2021

Hey @nacnud100

Thanks for posting here. 

We’re happy to hear that disabling the hardware acceleration fixed this for you. 

If you have any questions we're always one post away. 

Еnjoy your music! 

Suggested posts