Spotify keeps crashing over and over again, has ceased to be usable

Spotify keeps crashing over and over again, has ceased to be usable

primordialsea
Casual Listener

I have been using Spotify premium on a desktop computer (Windows 7 64-bit) for years, with no major issues. However, in the past 2 days, every time I log into the program and play a song, within about 5-10 seconds of the song starting to play, it stops playing and the window disappears off the screen. Then, maybe 5-10 seconds later, it reappears again by itself. If I try to play the song again, same thing repeats. I have tried logging out and logging back in. I have tried logging back out, rebooting the computer, and logging back in. It doesn't work. I haven't installed any new programs or updates or anything on my computer, as far as I know there is no reason for this to be happening because nothing has changed on my computer, and the way I normally use Spotify hasn't changed either.

As of right now, Spotify has stopped functioning, which is a huge hassle because it is mainly what I use while working, so now I am spending a bunch of time trying to get it to work instead of being productive. 

And when I get online to see what's going on, I find out that there doesn't seem to be a way to email anyone to get help, only this community.... Great.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem? Thanks.

7 Replies

Re: Spotify keeps crashing over and over again, has ceased to be usable

adritati
Casual Listener

In my case I dont even have to play a song, it starts a loop of force closing and opening again and I have to close spotify from task manager.

I uninstalled and installed again, and now its working, I even have a new UI, so I guess I was using an old version which wouldn´t update anymore. 

user-removed
Not applicable

I have the same problem as well:(

Ray94

I also have the same problem since 2 days.

whatcats

I'm able to log in; however NO MUSIC since last week!!!

SuurmonP

Same for Mac OS X player (Yosemite).. (Spotify version 1.0.34.146.g28f9eda2)

primordialsea
Casual Listener

Update:
Figured out how to contact Spotify technical support. The version of Spotify that was causing this problem was 1.0.3.101.bfa97dfe.
Basically Spotify tech support gave instructions to uninstall and reinstall. I was leery of whether or not my playlists would stay intact, so I spent a long time screenshotting all the songs so I would still have the info regardless. I uninstalled and reinstalled, now the version is 1.0.42.151.g19de0aa6, and the interface looks slightly different. I haven't spent much time playing Spotify since I reinstalled, but at least for the moment I am hoping it is fixed. If it is not fixed will re-post later.

Instructions I was given:
Try the following fixes in order. After each one, restart Spotify to see if it did the trick.

• Reinstall Spotify (see the steps here)

Windows 7 or Vista:

1. Click File > Exit.
  2. Click Start then select Control Panel.
  3. Click Programs then Programs and Features.
  4. Select Spotify in the list and click Uninstall.
  5. Go to www.spotify.com/download and reinstall Spotify.

That didn’t work either? Try to run Spotify in Compatibility Mode:

1. Click File > Exit.
  2. Right-click the Spotify icon on your desktop or start-menu.
  3. Select Properties. Check "Run this program in compatibility mode" in the Compatibility Mode tab.
  4. Restart Spotify.

That didn’t work either? One more try: Run Spotify as an administrator:

1. Click File > Exit.
  2. Right-click the Spotify icon on your desktop or start-menu.
  3. Select Run as an administrator.

If that didn’t work, before you contact us again, please update your drivers, install any Windows Updates, and try once again.

primordialsea
Casual Listener

see my reply about what I did

SUGGESTED POSTS