Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps scanning my local files even with local files turned off

Spotify keeps scanning my local files even with local files turned off

Plan

Free/Premium

Country US

Device  Windows 10 computer

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System Windows 10

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

I have the "local files" option turned off

Every time I start up Spotify, I hear my NAS, where all my local music is stored, spin up and start crunching away.  It is obvious that Spotify is scanning my local music even though I told it not to.  I do NOT want Spotify running through my local music all the time.

Even worse, when I search for music on Spotify, it includes my local files, again disobeying the setting not to show local files.

Please fix the app so that it does not scan my local files, and does not show my local files, when the local files option is off.

4 Replies

I'm a premium user by the way.

Hey @Dbr3,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Since it could be a temporary error, would you mind trying each of the following steps?

If these steps don't help, would you mind letting us know what exact device(s) and operating system you're experiencing this with?

We'll look out for your reply and be here to help with anything else as well!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Unfortunately it did not help. This is on a Windows 10 PC.

I noticed this issue when spotify always puts my HDD at around 50% I hope spotify can stop scanning with "Show Local Files" off. See comments in this thread to know someone with the same issues, this is absolutely a BUG instead of a feature: Solved: Why is Spotify scanning my media library - The Spotify Community

Suggested posts