Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify portable version

Solved!

Spotify portable version

On my PC at work, I've no administrator right and I cannot install any software.

Could you provide a portable version of spotify software to run without installation ?

Additionnaly the network protocol should be TCP 80 (HTTP) in order that the traffic goes through the standard firewall rules.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Spotify does not need administartor rights to install. The newwest versions install directly to your APPDATA folder. 

Here is the latest version: Download

It may ask for network rights, but it is not needed. You can also create a batch file to run it from a folder. FE:

After installing for the first time:

1. Go to Windows Start button.
  2. Type '%appdata%' and press enter.
  3. Look for a folder named 'Spotify'
  4. Copy that folder to your desktop.
  5. Open Notepad
  6. Type in Notepad:
Spoiler

@echo off

set APPDATA=%CD%

spotify.exe

7. Now exit and save as 'start.bat' and be sure to remove the .txt default. (be sure to run this file and not any other)

8. After saving the .bat file, you should move it to your new Spotify folder.

9. You may now move the folder to different computers, running the Spotify app directly from the folder, not installing anywhere. (It will save settings to the %appdata%\Spotify folder though. (This is default, and it does not bother me at all)

10. Enjoy!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

The original question on this thread:

On my PC at work, I've no administrator right and I cannot install any software.

Could you provide a portable version of spotify software to run without installation ?

Additionnaly the network protocol should be TCP 80 (HTTP) in order that the traffic goes through the standard firewall rules.

My suggestion: 

I have the same problem at my work. My work computer is locked down and I have no Admin rights. However, I am able to plug-in a FlashDrive to my work machine. So I used the FlashDrive access to let me listen to Spotify at work.

Here are the steps to follow:

On my home computer, I installed the Spotify Chrome app into my personal Google account. I made sure that I have account sync'ing turned on. Once this is complete, when I choose from the list of apps in Chrome, Spotify is right there.

Then, while still at home, I plugged in a flashdrive and I installed the Google Chrome Portable App from PortableApps.com onto the flashdrive. Once you have done that, launch Google Portable from your flashdrive and it will sync all apps and extensions. The Spotify app will sync on your Portable Chrome installation.

Now go to work, plug in the flashdrive and launch the Google Chrome Portable. Wait a few minutes for all of the apps & extensions to sync. Once they are done, click the spotify app in Chrome-Portable and voila, you have a Portable Spotify.

View solution in original post

21 Replies
Marked as solution

Spotify does not need administartor rights to install. The newwest versions install directly to your APPDATA folder. 

Here is the latest version: Download

It may ask for network rights, but it is not needed. You can also create a batch file to run it from a folder. FE:

After installing for the first time:

1. Go to Windows Start button.
  2. Type '%appdata%' and press enter.
  3. Look for a folder named 'Spotify'
  4. Copy that folder to your desktop.
  5. Open Notepad
  6. Type in Notepad:
Spoiler

@echo off

set APPDATA=%CD%

spotify.exe

7. Now exit and save as 'start.bat' and be sure to remove the .txt default. (be sure to run this file and not any other)

8. After saving the .bat file, you should move it to your new Spotify folder.

9. You may now move the folder to different computers, running the Spotify app directly from the folder, not installing anywhere. (It will save settings to the %appdata%\Spotify folder though. (This is default, and it does not bother me at all)

10. Enjoy!

But installing this defeats the purpose of tring to use a portable version. Is there a portable versoin that I can just download? Thanks.

It works fine. I can start it without installation with the start.bat.

Unfortunatelly, the company network doesn't let the traffic going through.

Which network protocol and port do you use ? is this standard html, tcp 80 or another one ?

The above method is too complicated for me, but it seems Spotify is all ready portable, just copy the Spotify folder from your C Drive to your

flash drive/usb stick or any other drive open the folder and double click the file(s) Spotify.exe or SpotifyLauncher.exe and Spotify will launch.

you will be asked for your spotify login and password.

You may also get a message from Windows firewall asking you to allow  Spotify through.

To find the spotify folder right click on the desktop or startmenu shortcut, then select poperties look for the file path on the shortcut tab.

It seems that running spotify as mentioned in my post above does have disadvantages in that your localy stored music will not travel with you and your login details will be left on the computer you run it on .I leave it up to the individual to make their own  informed choice .

Maybe try the Webplayer?

Thanks for that 🙂

Marked as solution

The original question on this thread:

My suggestion: 

I have the same problem at my work. My work computer is locked down and I have no Admin rights. However, I am able to plug-in a FlashDrive to my work machine. So I used the FlashDrive access to let me listen to Spotify at work.

Here are the steps to follow:

On my home computer, I installed the Spotify Chrome app into my personal Google account. I made sure that I have account sync'ing turned on. Once this is complete, when I choose from the list of apps in Chrome, Spotify is right there.

Then, while still at home, I plugged in a flashdrive and I installed the Google Chrome Portable App from PortableApps.com onto the flashdrive. Once you have done that, launch Google Portable from your flashdrive and it will sync all apps and extensions. The Spotify app will sync on your Portable Chrome installation.

Now go to work, plug in the flashdrive and launch the Google Chrome Portable. Wait a few minutes for all of the apps & extensions to sync. Once they are done, click the spotify app in Chrome-Portable and voila, you have a Portable Spotify.

You can't just simply copy the shortcut to a flashdrive because the shortcut is to a file on your C drive and the application will search for the path that is on the computer you downloaded spotify onto.  

Ubuntu3737,

That isn't what I suggested. I said that I installed Chrome Portable to my flashdrive at home. Then at work I launched Chrome Portable from my flashdrive. The portable version will sync all of your home Chrome apps so If you installed Spotify on your home Chrome, it syncs to the portable Chrome on the flashdrive and plays. I've been using it that way for months.

Yeah. except the fact chrome doesnt support exe files

@Tapper wrote:

Ubuntu3737,

That isn't what I suggested. I said that I installed Chrome Portable to my flashdrive at home. Then at work I launched Chrome Portable from my flashdrive. The portable version will sync all of your home Chrome apps so If you installed Spotify on your home Chrome, it syncs to the portable Chrome on the flashdrive and plays. I've been using it that way for months.

I have created a fully portable version using Cameyo. If interested (and if MOD allows me), I can post it.

Offline syncing, keyboard media buttons, everything works great.

I would love it. 

Perfecto!!!

Ha funcionado de maravilla, mil gracias.

What exactly does the batch file do? 

this does *not* answer the OP's question. This defeats the purpose.

We need a portable version.

i'm an audiophile, thats about it

Thank you.

I wish to add a solution for the porblem of the point nº9... if you want a real STEAL MODE! (you can put it as the ending of the start bat file as a "garbage collector") but my proposal is a simple .bat (you can call it as you want) with this lines:

@RD /S /Q "%APPDATA%\Spotify"

After close the program of Spotify you can run this new bat and all the "garbage data" will be deleted. NOW it's 100% portable (no files in your local PC).

PS: Yes...you can do it better, put prompts, enqueue and trigger it when the main program is closed... but....this is the easiest and faster solution.

REGARDS!

After days and days of trying to fix this problem your aswer helped me. Thank you!!!

I'm glad it worked out for you. I use it at work all the time.

Suggested posts