Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify randomly stops playing and displays "Can't play current song"

Solved!

Spotify randomly stops playing and displays "Can't play current song"

My Question or Issue

The spotify app has started acting up over the past week or so without seeming to have a trigger. Randomly when listening to a playlist (or radio, or any music in general) the sound will cut out and the app says "Can't play current song". The only fix I have found is closing the app and restarting spotify. This has happened 3 times today and is really infuriating. I tried researching for fixes, but all the other posts about this here have not resolved my issue.

Everything seems to be a temporary fix. Is there anything I can do to actually resolve this issue or is it just a bug in Spotify? I have not had this issue at all on my phone

Plan: Premium

Operating System: Windows 10

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @zblowen

This error may be indicating some audio software/hardware related issue as well as network issue.

For audio issues I suggest disabling audio enhancements and also reinstalling the driver. Check this Microsoft article on how to. 🙂

Also, make sure Communications setting is turned off:
1. Find the speaker icon on Taskbar again. Right-click on it and select Sounds.
2. In the opened window go to COmmunications and set Windows to do nothing.

About the network issue I recommend restarting the router.
It's also useful to make sure there's nothing in the hosts file causing this - check out this thread on how and what to look for!

Also, clean reinstall can help tackle issues as well!
1. Close Spotify and uninstall it.
2. Go to %AppData% in Windows Explorer, and delete any Spotify folders you find in Local and Roaming folders.
3. Restart your computer.
4. Install Spotify.

Note: Windows Store Spotify doesn't seem to use appdata. In this case I recommend resetting the app's data (read this Windows Club article) and reinstalling as guided in this article.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Heyyyo! If you are having unknown and random "connectivity issue's' like the "cant play current song" then give this work around a try. (Review Attachments)
So far it seemed to be the only fix for me on this issue...
Hopefully this got you moving back in the right direction,

PragueSpotify Star
code 4 header.png

Had the same issue, now Solved. Thanks so much!

Just tried the solution on computer. Will post updates later in the day

So I tried your proposed solution and the same thing happened. The sound cuts out, plays for a couple more seconds, displays "can't connect", then stops all together. Had restart the app again

Marked as solution

Hey @zblowen

This error may be indicating some audio software/hardware related issue as well as network issue.

For audio issues I suggest disabling audio enhancements and also reinstalling the driver. Check this Microsoft article on how to. 🙂

Also, make sure Communications setting is turned off:
1. Find the speaker icon on Taskbar again. Right-click on it and select Sounds.
2. In the opened window go to COmmunications and set Windows to do nothing.

About the network issue I recommend restarting the router.
It's also useful to make sure there's nothing in the hosts file causing this - check out this thread on how and what to look for!

Also, clean reinstall can help tackle issues as well!
1. Close Spotify and uninstall it.
2. Go to %AppData% in Windows Explorer, and delete any Spotify folders you find in Local and Roaming folders.
3. Restart your computer.
4. Install Spotify.

Note: Windows Store Spotify doesn't seem to use appdata. In this case I recommend resetting the app's data (read this Windows Club article) and reinstalling as guided in this article.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

Thanks @Sebasty

when discord is connected to spotify and you start talking while music plays, discord detects it and stops playing music and it has a error bar at the top. to stop this problem disconnect discord from spotify or use push to talk

Hey, Spotify Community!

Any suggestions for the same issue on a Mac? 

Hey there @shahrh,

Welcome to the Spotify Community!

Could you try performing these steps on your Mac and let us know if it helped.

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit 
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Looking forward to your reply 🙂

Have a great day!

It seems to work. Thank you

Suggested posts