Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify recommending songs already in a playlist

Spotify recommending songs already in a playlist

Plan

Premium

Country
Canada

Device

(Samsung Galaxy 9+, WebPlayer, Desktop App)

Operating System

(iAndroid Oreo, Windows 10)

My Question or Issue

Spotify recommends songs already in my playlists, sometimes the song is in the playlist it is basing the recommendation on. This makes no sense. It would be like me walking into a shoe store for recommendations for new shoes and the salesperson looking at my shoes and recommending 5 pairs of shoes where one pair is the same shoes I have on. It would also be nice if there was an option to permanently mark a recommendation to not be recommended again.

Thanks

17 Replies

Kudos to this, since I saw this bug appearing and disappearing lots of times in the past years. Lately, in "recommended" section, I keep seeing lots (almost all) of songs that are already in the current playlist! 😞 Looks like this feature became less and less smarter during time. Hope it will we fixed. Thanks!

Hi folks! 

Thanks for reaching out about this.

@Clauz, would you mind showing us an example? Could you send the URI of both songs (the one which is already in your playlist and the other which appears in your recommendations)? To get them, open the Spotify desktop app > click the three dots next to the content > Share > Copy Spotify URI.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi, sure, here's an example: 

This one is in my playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/track/4iMiLm8NqP0RJVr28HxQQK?si=cb3c009719e14def

This one is showing in the "recommended" section at the bottom of the same playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/track/4iMiLm8NqP0RJVr28HxQQK?si=4cf69d96871443a6

It's a random thing, sometimes the recommended section shows lots of new songs, sometimes lots of already known songs...but it shouldn't! 😉

One more thing: clicking the "Add" button, at the right of a duplicate recommended  song, automatically adds it in the playlist with no warning, but if I manually drag this song on the playlist (in the left pane), then the "already in playlist" warning is correctly shown. This happens on Mac client, haven't tried on Windows yet.

Hope this will help. Thanks and kind regards!

Hi @Clauz,

Thank you for your reply and for the URI:s 🙂

Can you let us know your OS and which versions of the apps you have on your devices?

When we have this information we'll be able to pass it on to the right team.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Sure, my Mac is macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 with Spotify client version 1.1.59.712.g54f36e5d-a. Thanks again for your support!

Hey @Clauz,

Thanks for keeping in touch and for the extra info.

We've made sure to forward it to the right folks. We can't commit to a timeframe for when or if this will be fixed, but in the meantime, we suggest keeping the app updated so you don't miss out on any fixes.

If you have any questions or need anything else, we'll be right here.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

Hi @CarlosE!

I was running into this exact problem today and was wondering if there is any update on the issue?

Cheers!

Hey @DutchJonne,

Thanks for posting in the Community!

We have no news for now about this behavior, however we can add your feedback to our reports. Could you please also share with us your device's details (device's make and model, OS and Spotify versions installed). It'd be great if we also get some screenshots and the links of both songs (the one which is already in your playlist and the other which appears in your recommendations) so the right folks could take a closer look and analyze the situation.

Monitor this thread here for more info and we can also recommend keeping your app updated at all times, so not to miss any eventual fixes.

Keep us posted, we'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Spotify details:

Plan

Premium (as part of a family subscription)

Country

NL

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

Spotify for Windows
1.1.76.447.g11f432d8

I attached a screenshot of the described behavior. I created a test playlist where I just dumped all the songs from the playlists "All out of ##s" from 60s till 2010s.

The first song in the recommended was "Stuck In The Middle With You". When searching the playlist, I noticed that this wasn't in the list, so I added it. However, when I went to the main screen and returned to the playlist, the song was still recommended, but also in my playlist. The two URIs at the bottom of the screenshot are from this song.

I did the same for "Don't Stop", and the same thing happened. It was still present in the recommended section after adding it to the playlist.

stuck_with_duplicates.png

Hi @DutchJonne,

Thanks for sharing these details!

We've added your feedbacks to our reports, so the right team can look into this. While we cannot provide a timeline for a fix as of yet, rest assured we'll check back in here when we have any new information to share.

The Community is always here if there's anything else you need assistance with.

Take care!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Almost 4 years after the opening post, and 11 months since the last response here, and the problem still exists. Is there a timeline when this will get fixed? I noticed it now in the Spotify app on my Macbook with this playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/43Cj2puUvHxZii7z9FL8Pc?si=121005f6997a489e

Hi, I have the same issue as reported earlier, seems that the longer the playlist comes, the more often the proposals are overlapping with songs already in the list. 

URL to my list where I keep seeing this https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0B2vIY9kwKAYExz5Vbxs9j

This happened to me as well!

Hey, its been over 4.5 years and this problem isn't at all fixed. I've attached another example.

I also have the same issue, didnt used to suck this bad. But almost every song in my recently created playlist is coming up as a song that is recommended. After refreshing a few times I finally got a single song that wasnt already in my playlist!

I've started having this issue yesterday, both on desktop app and web.

I've been facing this problem for a week now.

Suggested posts