Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify's taskbar icon on the wrong monitor every single time (dual monitors)

Solved!

Spotify's taskbar icon on the wrong monitor every single time (dual monitors)

We had a five page thread; Spotify closed it because "nobody responded in a long time". That's because, Spotify, ya never fixed it.

How to reproduce (you need two monitors):

1. Open Spotify and close it on the second monitor.

2. Open Spotify again. The icon will be on the primary monitor, but the window will be on the secondary monitor.

2019-02-01_17-42-06.jpg

Windows 10 Pro x64, version 1803 (April 2018 update).

Spotify version 1.0.99.250.g936eab8d (Windows Store version).

See this 45 second video for the full walkthrough (see a normal application vs Spotify). Put the icon on the correct taskbar, Spotify.

// IGNORE THE TOP ANSWER BELOW: THERE IS NO ANSWER NOR SOLUTION. SPOTIFY COMMUNITY MODS BARELY UNDERSTAND WINDOWS.

// IGNORE "Top Answer" BELOW:

120 Replies

Sorry, but this is not fixed for me. I'm using the same Windows Store version.

My Windows version is Windows 10 1903 Build 18362.239

In Addition: Spotify already has marked two of my replies in this topic as Spam and deleted them. Is this the thank for my commitment to get this bug fixed? You serious Spotify? 

I kept forgetting to report this problem until today. Glad to see I'm not the only one annoyed by this. 

Not happy to see that no one seems to care enough to actually fix this.

When I open Spotify and by default it opens on my 2nd monitor, the icon is
missing. But if I drag it to the 1st monitor and then back to the 2nd the
icon now shows up on monitor #2. Seems it needs to be dragged for it to
"engage." Seems like it would be an easy fix, you'd think right?

So I now decided to leave Spotify Desktop Client behind. I think this hardly annoying Bug will never get fixed. 

I think Xpo Music (former Xpotify) does a fine job (just take a look at MS Store). It is really beautiful AND Open Source. Also Spotimo (MS Store, currently Beta) does a fine job. Its just more like the sadly cancelled Groove Music.

@Szarkee wrote:
When I open Spotify and by default it opens on my 2nd monitor, the icon is
missing. But if I drag it to the 1st monitor and then back to the 2nd the
icon now shows up on monitor #2. Seems it needs to be dragged for it to
"engage." Seems like it would be an easy fix, you'd think right?

Yes. I figured this out too. It's an easy workaround. But, it is annoying to have to do it every time. What I have done instead is to make sure to move Spotify back to monitor1 before closing it for the night. That way when I start it again the next day, it starts on monitor1 and I move it to monitor2.

Not going to comment on whether it should be a "simple" fix or not because I have been surprised by the number of times I've learned in software support when a "simple" fix turned out to be more than that due to other factors.

But, it would be nice to see this addressed.

Agreed.

FWIW, Twitter support has also been 100% meaningless.

JdL8Ylx

This has been driving me crazy as well. I'm using the desktop application and I found that it seems to only happen when launched through a Windows shortcut. If I directly double click "C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe" it would work fine every time and the taskbar icon would show on the correct monitor. To work around this I wrote a little script that simply runs the Spotify.exe directly. Then I changed the Spotify shortcuts to point to my script  instead of Spotify.exe and now everything is working perfectly and I am happier.

This is a crappy work around but it has been working ok for me, maybe it will help someone else too.

@sipk1 wrote:

This has been driving me crazy as well. I'm using the desktop application and I found that it seems to only happen when launched through a Windows shortcut. If I directly double click "C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe" it would work fine every time and the taskbar icon would show on the correct monitor. To work around this I wrote a little script that simply runs the Spotify.exe directly. Then I changed the Spotify shortcuts to point to my script  instead of Spotify.exe and now everything is working perfectly and I am happier.

This is a crappy work around but it has been working ok for me, maybe it will help someone else too.

I hadn't even bothered going that far in trying to figure out what's going on. That's a great workaround. Until Spotify actually address this problem.

@sipk1 wrote:

You're a savior. Did the same thing. Create a Spotify.bat file in the same directory as the Spotify.exe file. It's contents only have to be:

START Spotify.exe

Replace your shortcuts with a link to your new Spotify.bat

I'm afraid but this workaround does not work for me because the Folder "Spotify" does not exist in my %appdata%\Roaming Folder. Have Spotify Windows Store Version installed. So hopefully Spotify will fix this problem sometime. I think I'm gonna switch to Tidal anyway

At this point i'm not using the windows store version at all.

I do this instead (look at most bottom reply):

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Desktop-Mini-player/m-p/4762809#M77397

This way, it's not the spotify app, but chrome that runs spotify.

I know this is no solution at all, but it works for me, and I have a miniplayer in my lower right corner.

@sipk1 wrote:

If you use the regular version (not Windows store) this  actually works. Why I do not know, but it does. Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: Apparently it only worked the first attempt after a reboot. 😞

It has still been working great for me and I close and open Spotify a lot. The only time I have had trouble is sometimes the first time after reconnecting my laptop to my dock it will get confused and start on the wrong monitor but then it's always fine again after that.

I briefly tried to see if I could get this working with the Windows Store version of Spotify but it seems the way store apps are launched makes it impossible...

Just got spotify premium a few days ago and I noticed this as well. Really wish they would fix something so simple but I just didnt want to deal with it anymore so I disabled the taskbars on my second and third monitor and now I wont notice it. Not a solution but its amazing how persistent you guys are in this thread lol.

That works, oh strange.

The startin path on the shortcut is the install folder as well.

Maybe its a working path issue?

With the latest update the workaround with the .bat file doesn't work for me anymore. Can anybody confirm that?

Placing the bat file in the folder where Spotify is installed, then changed the shortcut to point to .bat instead of .exe, this method works fine for me.

I'm currently using version Spotify 1.1.14.475.g566c8beb and the workaround is still working for me.

I do not see how Spotify hasn't fixed this bug by now even if it is a minor one. I deal with this bug every single day. This was reported early 2018 (or even before).

It is crazy Spotify tried to blame Windows. If it is Windows then why on earth do none of my other Windows apps behave like this???

Honestly I don't care who's fault this is. This is a legitimate bug with Spotify. Your customers are reporting it and asking for a fix. Any other reason or excuse states Spotify does not care about paying customers.

Hey all,

Thanks for all of the info so far. We've let our tech team know, and they're investigating this. We don't have an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend keeping an eye out for updates to the app.

We’ve blocked replies to this thread now.

Have a nice day.

Suggested posts