Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify setup wont open

Solved!

Spotify setup wont open

Plan

Premium

Country

Sweden

Operating System

Windows 10 64bit

For a couple of weeks I have been getting an error message when I start my spotify. The error message says something about "updater wasn't able to start properly" so I uninstalled spotify and deleted the %appdata%/Roaming/Spotify folder and the /Local/Spotify folder but my setup wont even open. It shows up in the task manager for about 2 seconds and then disappears. I have also tried the SpotifyFullSetup but nothing happens, and I dont see the Microsoft Store version as a solution because its laggy and garbage.

Already tried:

Run as administrator

Compatibility Mode

Deleting folders

FullSetup

Restarting PC

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I was having the exact same issue. Weird question... Does your Windows account name have a special character on it?

Apparently the 1.0.96.181 version have a glitch where it can't run the update file properly if it's ran from a folder that has a special character on its path. Since Spotify has its files placed in your User folder, there is a chance that an accent or a special character in your Windows account name could be causing the issue.

Try this:

1. Go to "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Spotify"

2. Cut the "Update" folder and Paste on "C:\" (or any folder without a special character on it's path).

3. Then try to run the Spotify installer inside the Update folder.

It should update everything properly.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

I was having the exact same issue. Weird question... Does your Windows account name have a special character on it?

Apparently the 1.0.96.181 version have a glitch where it can't run the update file properly if it's ran from a folder that has a special character on its path. Since Spotify has its files placed in your User folder, there is a chance that an accent or a special character in your Windows account name could be causing the issue.

Try this:

1. Go to "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Spotify"

2. Cut the "Update" folder and Paste on "C:\" (or any folder without a special character on it's path).

3. Then try to run the Spotify installer inside the Update folder.

It should update everything properly.

I do have a special character in my usernam so I guess that was the problem. Since I dont have my Update folder anymore I just created a folder called Spotify and with a Update folder on my other drive and that worked ( only with Fullsetup ). The funny thing is that spotify still creates the folder in the same place as before so I don't know why it was a problem before.

Suggested posts