Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify starting with Windows 10 even when disabled? Try this fix

Spotify starting with Windows 10 even when disabled? Try this fix

If you're running Windows 10 and can't get Spotify to stop opening when Windows starts - even with the startup option set to "No" in the Advanced section of Spotify's preferences - you may have the Windows app store version of the program installed, even if you don't think you have. So try this:

• Search for Spotify in the Windows search bar
  • When it comes up in the list, right click it and select "App Settings"
  • A panel of Windows settings for the app will appear, not Spotify's own settings
  • Find the "Runs at log-in" option. It will likely be greyed out. Click "Configure startup tasks" right underneath it
  • Find Spotify in the list which appears and uncheck it

This worked for me. Your experience may differ. I had even used CCleaner and other methods to change startup entries without success until I tried the above procedure.

I believe this is a problem caused by Windows being confused because it is possible to have downloaded and installed Spotify from the Spotify website as a regular program, and it is also possible to have downloaded and installed Spotify from the Windows app store as an "app".

If you've d'loaded it as a Windows app, you need to configure the Windows settings as described above (in addition to the regular "Edit > Preferences > [Show Advanced Settings] > Startup and Window Behavior >Open Spotify automatically after you log into the computer > No" fix within Spotify).

1 Reply

Hey there @maxhicks,

thanks for sharing in the community !

As this is a section for users to post their issues or question, solutions are to be provided based on a presented issue.

Your initiative and useful info are great and will help users when needed.

However, i believe you should check out this article on the Spotify community Rock Star Progrem.

Waiting to hear what you think 😃

Suggested posts