Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify will not play on Windows 10 desktop app

Spotify will not play on Windows 10 desktop app

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10 build 10.0.18362, i7 4770k, nVidia 1080ti

My Question or Issue

When I try to play music on the spotify desktop app, nothing plays. Clicking the play button in playlists, the bottom controls, "shuffle play" - the progress bar just sits at zero and nothing plays. I can navigate the app just fine and view, search, and edit playlists. I've tried controlling the desktop app from my phone but the desktop player won't play music and music will go back to playing on my phone instead. I've re-installed the desktop app multiple times from both the online spotify site and the MS store. I've also gone as far as resetting Windows completely and installing drivers on a fresh OS. Music plays from a webplayer on firefox and chrome, and android/iOS apps just fine on my account.

When I am using other applications on my computer, the top left windows notification with play/pause controls and volume slider is stuck and displays itself over other active applications.

Spotify was working great just a few days ago, any ideas?

7 Replies

No ideas?

I have the same problem. Work Did you ever find a solution?

Hey folks,

Welcome to the Spotify Community and sorry for the late response as we just came across this thread.

This kind of issue could be related to some damaged cache stored on your device. We'd first recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app. This is often an overlooked step, but it can be helpful to get rid of any corrupted files that might be causing issues. 

If the issue persists, would you mind checking on the Web Player to see if it makes any difference?

Lastly, to have a better look at your issue, include in your next response the Spotify version you're currently on your device. 

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have a similar issue. In the last few days, Spotify has stopped playing music I've not played before. The web player is working absolutely fine. I'm on a Windows 10 machine and I tried downloading and installing a fresh version of the app from the Microsoft Store. The version of Spotify that I've currently got running is "Spotify for Windows 1.1.94.874.g837ef43a"

Hey @Seoirseo,

Thanks for joining the thread!
Just to confirm - have you already tried the steps, listed in the Support Article, linked by @OscarDC?
If you haven't done so yet, we'd suggest clearing your cached data as well to see if that will make any difference.

Let us know how it goes.
Cheers!

VasilModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello Vasil, 

I had deleted and then reinstalled from a download off the Spotify website yesterday. That however didn't seem to have any affect. It was still not playing any music I had not previously played before the issue arose.

I didn't actually do anything further, but it's started working again of its own accord within the last hour, after having restarted my computer. It's very perplexing, but at least it's now back working.

So as they say, job's a gud'un!

Anyway thanks to both yourself and Oscar for looking at this with me.

Take care,
Seoirse

Hey @Seoirseo,

Thanks for your reply 🙂

We really appreciate you keeping us posted about this. We’re happy to know you could sort this out. Don't hesitate to reach out if the app starts to behave again.

If you have any questions or need a hand with anything else, we're always a post away.

Take care!

AlejaRModerator

Suggested posts