Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Desktop resizes window too large after minimizing and getting back to it

Solved!

Spotify Desktop resizes window too large after minimizing and getting back to it

Plan

Premium

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I got a weird bug after the latest update on Spotify Desktop. When I shrink the window size to a more compact size and minimize it, Spotify always gets bigger when I open it up again.

I already reinstalled it and still get the same bug.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey folks, 

We're happy to say that this issue should be fixed now. Just make sure to update your app to the latest version available. 

If anyone's still experiencing the issue after updating, make sure to let us know and send the exact app version.

If anything else comes up, the Community will be here.

Cheers!

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

35 Replies

Hey there @zonesarhd

Welcome to the Community and thanks for getting in touch about this.

You mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a normal one? Make sure to download the app again from the Microsoft Store.

If this doesn't do the trick, would you mind trying if the same happens using a different PC?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi same issue here. 

Win 11, Dell Precision 5770. dual monitor setup.

I've tried clean reinstall, and downloading from winstore.

Hi there @Torkelsorhus,

Thank you for your reply in this thread and for trying out the troubleshooting. Let's take a closer look into this.

Can you provide us a recording so that we can check how it looks directly from your end? 

It would also be great if you can provide us your exact Spotify version.

On another note, does this occur while you're logged in and logged out?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Chiming in to say I am experiencing the same issue. Win 10, Dell Precision 5560, dual monitor setup. Spotify for Windows 1.1.88.612.gcc529952.

Laptop screen resolution: 3840 x 2400

Monitor resolution: 1920 x 1080

In Windows display settings, text & apps are scaled to 225% on the laptop screen, 100% on monitor.

Issue only occurs on the monitor. Minimizing and restoring causes the Spotify window to grow large in size, to the point where I have to manually resize to see the window to see the bottom control bar again. This does not occur when Spotify is on the laptop screen, minimizes & restores normally.

I am having the exact same issue

I'm wondering if its resizing to 225% even though the rest of the monitor window is at 100%?

Hey there,

I have been expierencing the same issue and just like the people that have answered before I also have an extra monitor from Dell so I don't think it is an issue with Spotify but with the Dell monitors.

Because when I use a different monitor or no monitor at all but just have my laptop open this issue does not occur.

I hope this helps a bit, I am sorry there isn't really a fix for it believe me it is annoying as it is.

Take care 🙂

Screenshot Issue Spotify.png

I am experiencing the same problem on my ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 laptop, where the laptop display is 1440p scaled at 150% alongside a 1080p monitor scaled at 100%. The issue only occurs when minimizing and then re-opening Spotify on the second monitor.

also having the same issue.

I'm experiencing the same problem.

I'm experiencing the same issue using a multi display setup on Windows 11, even though none of those displays are from Dell, so it can't be a manufacture specific issue. However, all my displays have different sizes, resolutions and their own scaling value (which is marked as recommended by the system) for better readability.

TheBango_0-1691065513220.png

1  - LG Ultragear 27" WHQD - 2560x1440 - 100% (Main Monitor)

2 - LG C9 OLED TV 55" QHD - 3840x2160 - 300%

3 - Kamvas 13" HD - 1920x1080 - 150%

I usually use the Spotify App on my main monitor and after bringing the Spotify app window back to desktop from minimized, the window's size has expanded to be displayed on display 1 and 3. I then resize and position the window back to it's previous state, but as soon as I minimize it and then bring it back to desktop it changes it's size and position again.

One thing I've noticed is that this only seems to happen if the displays are recognized by and active in Windows. By active I mean they're turned on. The displays will then be shown as in the picture above in Windows' display settings.

But if display 2 and 3 are off for a while, Windows seems to change their status to smth. like "connection separated" and then this issue doesn't seem to happen. However, this isn't an overall solution I guess ^^

@AndresM I have this issue, and have had it for ages.

I have a Lenovo P14s Laptop (Prod #: 20VX004YAU)

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM)**bleep** 3.00 GHz

32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)

Windows 11 Enterprise - Version 22H2

Spotify Version:

Spotify for Windows (64 bit)
1.2.17.834.g26ee1129

External Monitor is a Samsung 34" CH89 LED Monitor (LC34H892WGEXXY) running 3440x1440

As mentioned in another post, my laptop screen is at 3840x2160 and has no issues.

My primary monitor (above) however is 3440x1440 and has the following behaviour:

- loading spotify, no issue, window size and position is remembered from when last closed.

- if i then minimise the window & restore, the X,Y position of the top left of the window is maintained, but the window size is now resized somewhere in the order of 1500x1500 pixels.

- you can move and resize the window to anything you want, minimise and restore and again, position of the top left corner is maintained, but the window size is lost.

Re: windows and spotify version - it's worth noting I've had this issue for ages. Everything was fine until a year or so ago I started getting this issue, possibly after a spotify update but i can't remember. I was on Windows 10 when this started, so it's likely not a windows version issue. Have tried the clean install, it did nothing.

Also, I use this monitor for my desktop running the same screen and resolution and it works fine. The desktop is connected via HDMI - the laptop is via the USB C connection on the monitor.

How is this still a problem after 2 years? I first had this issue 2 weeks ago and kept ignoring it. Why is this a problem. I have 2 Monitor's.
Main: BenQ EL2870U
Secondary (with spotify on it) ASUS VG279Q1A.

A bit frustrating. But I guess you can just keep it open in the background... 

Add me to the list of users with this problem. I performed clean install. I've tried both the Windows Store version and the version from the website and experience the problem with both. Every minimize, it is too large and the bottom of the screen is not visible. So, I have to resize the application window every time I minimize and re-open it.
I also have tow monitors. My internal monitor is scaled to 150%, but it has no issues. My external monitor where I usually keep Spotify app is scaled to 100%.  

Video attached.

Hey @jaytime_radio,

Thanks for the screen recording.

We've forwarded this to the attention on our tech team who'll look further into it. If you haven't already, please provide the following:

We'll keep you folks posted here as soon as we have any new info to share.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm running windows 11 with this spotify version:

1.2.20.1216.ge7a7b92f

I also have two monitors (one ultrawide 3440x1440 and another full hd 192x1080).

Latest version at all times. I shut down every day and your app automatically installs updates. Current version is 
Spotify for Windows (64 bit) -- 1.2.20.1216.ge7a7b92f

Internal LCD is 2880x1920 -- 200% scaling

External monitor is 1920x1080 -- 100% scaling

I primarily use spotify on the external monitor. Everything works fine when the app is on the internal monitor. However, it seems that when I change the internal monitor scaling to 100%, it solves the problem on the external monitor. It looks like something about scaling on a different monitor is being factored in for some reason.

Spotify version: 1.220.1216.0 (from the Microsoft Store)

Displays:

1 - LG Ultragear 27" WHQD - 2560x1440 - 100% (Main Monitor)

2 - LG C9 OLED TV 55" QHD - 3840x2160 - 300%

3 - Kamvas 13" HD - 1920x1080 - 150%

Already mentioned above but current version running is:

1.2.20.1216.ge7a7b92f

External Monitor is a Samsung 34" CH89 LED Monitor (LC34H892WGEXXY) running 3440x1440, scale is 100% (Recommended)

I've had this issue for ages, i.e. has been an issue for every version for the last year or so.

@Yordan Just to add to this - I saw jaytime_radio's comment on varied scaling and checked my setup...

my internal laptop monitor is 3840x2160 and defaults to 250% scaling (never has this issue - works fine)

external monitor running 3440x1440 on 100% scaling (does have the issue)

tuning my internal display down to 200% (tested 100% also) fixes the issue on the external monitor. It only struggles when the scaling is at 225% or higher on the internal monitor. Nothing changes by altering the external monitors scaling, but turning down the primary monitors scaling does impact it.

So my suspicion would be that spotify is defaulting the window size (ie. not retaining previous size) when the primary monitor scaling is >200%. Or more correctly, whatever code retains the window size, is only defined when the primary monitor scaling is 200% or less, and/or gets lost when the scaling is above 200% and being restored to a monitor with lesser scaling.

Suggested posts