Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't install - win 10

Solved!

Spotify won't install - win 10

Plan

Premium

Country

Czech Republic 

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

Hi i have problem with spotify, it won't install. I had problem with updating spotify so i tried the solution with copying these 2 files: spotify_installer-1.0.95.289.g342899da-15.exe, update.json but i didn't have the update folder in AppData/Local/Spotify so i unistalled spotify, downloaded the newest installer from spotify.com and the installer won't start. Any error codes won't pop up i only have loadig cursor for few seconds and after that nothing happens. Restarting my computer after the uninstall didn't help.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey, @MSL7 -

That's not cool!

Let's try out a clean reinstall of Spotify through the Windows Apps store.

Here are the instructions:

1. Go to the Control Panel.
  2. Click Programs and Features.
  3. Select Spotify in the list and click uninstall.
  4. Follow the instructions on the screen.
  5. On the Start search bar, type %AppData% and hit enter. This should open up the folder: C:\Users\*Username*\AppData\Roaming.
  6. Make sure there's no Spotify folder (C:\Users\*Username*\AppData\Local\Spotify) left in AppData\Roaming. If the folder is still there, you can delete it.
  7. Please make sure that there is no Spotify folder left in C:\Users\*Username*\AppData\Local\Spotify as well.
  8. Install Spotify from the Windows Apps store.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

View solution in original post

29 Replies

Same problem here.. 

Same here. No update folder. 

same here!

I have the exact same problem. Couldn't update to the latest version so I uninstalled it and now the installer won't run.

Hey,

I had exactly the same problem. I couldn't update, so I uninstalled Spotify and downloaded the installer again.

The installer said it was downloading Spotify, but then it exited and nothing happened, no error message, nothing.

So I did a search for 'Spotify' on my PC and I deleted every folder I found. I also found in a temporary folder, a 'SpotifyFullSetup.exe' that was being downloaded each time I ran the installer. So I took it out of the temporary folder and ran the setup. This worked for me. I have the client installed and on the latest version.

Hope it helps! Best regards.

It didn't help for me..  Someone else has a workaround?

You need to do what @Magickx said, BUT the issue seems to be with usernames that contain special characters. So, you need to create a new temporary folder in C:\ (outside the 'Users' folder), put there the 'SpotifyFullSetup.exe' file and run it from there. It worked for me!

And where exactly i can find the SpotifyFullSetup.exe file, i searched Spotify in windows it was searching for about 2 hours (it wasn't fully finished) and it didn't find any Spotify folders or files.

@MSL7 wrote:

And where exactly i can find the SpotifyFullSetup.exe file, i searched Spotify in windows it was searching for about 2 hours (it wasn't fully finished) and it didn't find any Spotify folders or files.

I think it's created when you run the installer you download from the Spotify site. Try installing it again and after it does nothing, search for 'Spotify' on your PC and it should appear in a temporary folder. Move that file to a new folder you create outside your username folder and it should work...

I tried and nothing was found again 😕 

I still can't find a workaround for this issue.
When I start the installer, I can only see that Windows Error Reporting starts and creates a dmp and nothing more.

Any ideas regarding this?

Marked as solution

Hey, @MSL7 -

That's not cool!

Let's try out a clean reinstall of Spotify through the Windows Apps store.

Here are the instructions:

1. Go to the Control Panel.
  2. Click Programs and Features.
  3. Select Spotify in the list and click uninstall.
  4. Follow the instructions on the screen.
  5. On the Start search bar, type %AppData% and hit enter. This should open up the folder: C:\Users\*Username*\AppData\Roaming.
  6. Make sure there's no Spotify folder (C:\Users\*Username*\AppData\Local\Spotify) left in AppData\Roaming. If the folder is still there, you can delete it.
  7. Please make sure that there is no Spotify folder left in C:\Users\*Username*\AppData\Local\Spotify as well.
  8. Install Spotify from the Windows Apps store.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Hi, thank you for your help, i didn't have any spotify files or folders in my pc and i tried installing spotify from Microsoft store before and didn't work but now it WORKED. 

It worked for me too! Thanks!

It helped for me, thanks!

Installing from the apps store works but the version you download from Spotify web page do not like if you are admin on the computer. It just say "Install from non admin account".

@chuchoamezcua wrote:

You need to do what @Magickx said, BUT the issue seems to be with usernames that contain special characters. So, you need to create a new temporary folder in C:\ (outside the 'Users' folder), put there the 'SpotifyFullSetup.exe' file and run it from there. It worked for me!

Thanks, chuchoamezcua! It indeed seems to have something to do with special characters in the file path (i.e. from the my user account name). I was copying the installer executable to the Desktop but it didn't work (because the file path still had my user account name in it). I copied it to C:\ and it worked from there. It seems to be a bug in the installer, then.

Hey, I had the same problem and I just solved it using @Magickx method. Here are some easy steps to follow:

1- Move your SpotifySetup.exe away from your downloads folder. For me it was at the root of another disk, but you can create a temp folder in your C:/ disk.

2- Browse in a new window : C:/Users/(your_username)/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache

3- Run SpotifySetup.exe and as soon as it shows a download progression (2nd step), search for Spotify in the INetCache folder (you have approx 10sec to do it, when the download is over the file we're looking for will get removed)

4- You must find a file called SpotifyFullSetup.exe. You can only find this file while Spotify's downloading (from SpotifySetup.exe), if the download's over you have to start it again and search again for the file.

5- Copy and paste this file into your C:/temp folder (you must have the 2 installers in there)

6- Now that SpotifyFullSetup.exe is safe from removal, you can run it and Spotify will install properly.

Hope that'll help 😉

Here is what worked for me:

My main account name contains special letters. So I logged in to my computer with another account, e.g. the administrator account. From this account I was able to install Spotify with the normal installer. And then I simply copied the Spotify-folder from C:\Users\#another-account#\AppData\Roaming, to C:\Users\#main-account#\AppData\Roaming

When I then logged in to my main account, Spotify worked again.

Suggested posts