Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't open - 'application not responding'

Solved!

Spotify won't open - 'application not responding'

About a couple days ago my spotify decided it wasn't going to open. I click on the application, it bounces up and down but doesn't open. when I right click it, it comes up with 'application not responding'. I've just tried removing it and reinstalling it. the box with spotify in it appears and the spotify icon comes up again but still doesn't open. How can i fix this?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

So this worked for me see below.

1. Start "Task Manager" by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete.  "Task Manager" should pop up or you will be prompted to select it

2.  In "Task Manager" select the processes tab and scroll down until you reach processes involved with Spotify.  For example, spotify.exe.

3. Select and end each process by clicking on the process and then clicking the end process button near the bottom right corner of "Task Manager"

4. Once these processes disappear from the list reopen spotify the way you are accustomed to.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Marked as solution

Marked as solution

This works! Thank you so much

View solution in original post

217 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

What operating system are you using? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I have the same issue with MAC OS 10.6.8

Same problem. Also Mac 10.6.8. I know last time I had it open and working it had a message about "Ready to install the latest version? Restart now to install." or something like that. So it appears that when I quit out of it last time, it installed the latest version of Spotify, which, by the way, I didn't want it to even do. And now the newest version doesn't actually work. Could you guys please stop forcing the app to update when we restart unless we explicitly ask for the update? Why do you force the update when it clearly hasn't been tested properly to ensure that it actually works?

Using Mac OSX 10.6.8.

Spotify was working fine, then cut out mid-song and would not longer respond. Uninstalled and reinstalled, still no dice. Made sure my hard drive was fine, it is, downloaded it again, still nothing. The app icon in my task bar bounces and then... nothing. 

Same problem with Mac 10.7.5

I used it yesterday and it was totally up to date and now it says "Application not responding" (and has been for several hours). I restarted my computer and force quit the program multiple times.

UPDATE:

I dug around on the other threads a little bit and tried launching with wifi off which works, and then the application works normally when I turn wifi back on.  But to initially launch, my wifi has to be off. 

Running on 10.6.8 mac os x. I had spotify for a long time and a few days ago, it just stopped working. If I went to open it, the icon would bounce in my dock and then stop but it wouldn't open the program. It says "application not responding". So, I restarted my computer. Still did the same thing. I deleted the program and tried to redownload/install. I can download the install, open it.. go through install but then it doesn't fully install. It just sits there like in the photo (the other two programs open are hidden =] lol)... I have to force it to quit. What can I do?

I have seen a few reports of this recently, I have escalated it to the community staff for investigation. 

Several reports have come in saying if you disable your WiFi connection, start Spotify and then enable it again it will launch successfully. 

Peter

Peter

I have read the previous posts about the wifi making it work sometimes. Since I do not have the program installed, I turned off wifi and tried to install. It did this > http://i43.tinypic.com/34smeyp.png

My Spotify stopped working today on my iMac (mac os x 10.7.5). I tried turning off the wifi but it still won't load. Tried reinstalling. Nothing is working. 

Exact same problem here on 10.6.8. Icon bounces for quite a long time then the application stops responding. Just happened recently. Tried uninstalling and installing, restarting, and even downgrading to older version with no success. Sounds like an osx update could have some conflicts with spotify.

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. 4 days ago it started giving problems. The app wasn't running when I clicked on the icon and I had to use force quit

2. I reinstalled spotify

3.  still giving the same problems

My Operating System

(From the Apple menu, select About This Mac) OS X 10.6.8

My Spotify version

I really don't know, the latest I suppose. 

My internet provider and country

Spain

I'm having the same problem. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the application and still nothing. I'm trying to it on a Mac OS X v. 10.6.8. 

I got it working!! I installed spotify and when it went to open up spotify, the spotify icon started bouncing in the dock. I turned off the wifi and it finished installing and opened up spotify. Turned wifi back on and it is working just fine. Haven't tried to close and reopen though.

Turning off wifi during initialization worked for me too!

Hi,

I have been using Spotify on my Mac for months now. As of yesterday, it is no longer opening (Application Not Responding). I attempted to uninstall and reinstall to no avail. Any guidance would be appreciated! Thanks!

This has been reported by several people here on the community 🙂 

Can you try disconnecting from WiFi/ethernet, launching the application and then connecting again and see if that works? 

Peter

Peter

Thanks Peter. I will give it a try!

I've the same problem on Windows Xp verison 2002 service pack 3

Suggested posts