Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't open or uninstall. Crashes silently.

Solved!

Spotify won't open or uninstall. Crashes silently.

Yesterday it worked just fine, today it won't open and even uninstall won't work. Event Viewer says:

Faulting application name: spotify.exe, version: 0.9.1.53, time stamp: 0x51af2e16
Faulting module name: USER32.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16420, time stamp: 0x505a971d
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000653b4
Faulting process id: 0x1990
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf4f12121883b3
Faulting application path: C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\spotify.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\USER32.dll
Report Id: 4ff1a843-bb05-11e3-8113-8c89a51c746e
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I've tried to manually remove files and install older version, installed Revo Uninstaller Pro and used it to remove all files and registry information related to spotify, disabled anti-virus...don't know what to try next. 

Web player works but i want the highest quality that the client provides for premium users 😞

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Thanks Merik for your help, but the problem was BitDefender Free Edition. Uninstalled it and spotify works just fine.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Hey there welcome to the community!

The User32.dll problem that you are experiencing may be addressed by a Windows product update. To open Windows Update, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. Copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Run box, and then press ENTER:

wupdmgr

Also try uninstalling Spotify with CCleaner then reinstalling:

1. Download and install CCleaner — http://download.piriform.com/ccsetup411.exe

2. On CCleaner go to Tools tab.

3. Click Uninstall on Spotify

4. Click the Registry tab then scan for issues then fix selected issues

5. (Optional) You can use the cleaner tab to delete unnecessary files. Make sure you look at what is checked just in case.

6. Reboot computer.

7. Download and install Spotify https://www.spotify.com/us/download/windows/

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

Marked as solution

Thanks Merik for your help, but the problem was BitDefender Free Edition. Uninstalled it and spotify works just fine.

@MikkoSF wrote:

Ah! Glad it's working now! 🙂

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

Hello,

I am having a similar issue, I updated spotify, but after I did it wouldn't open, so I chose to uninstall it and then download the latest update from the website. The installer starts and downloads spotify but after the download is complete I get the following error message : " The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)".

Can anybody help? I've tried the steps that involve cleaning the registry but I'm still having the same problem?

Thanks,

Adam

Does using this installer make any difference?
http://download.spotify.com/Spotify%20Installer.exe

Be aware some anti-viruses and security software don't play nicely with Spotify. In particular Spotify needs access to the %appdata% folders on windows which are locked down on some systems.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

yeah that worked,thanks a lot!!

Hey Merik, I tried your solution to uninstall with no success....  CCleaner won't do the trick either.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

@Peter. That did not work for me.

Can only open Spotify with SpotifyLauncher in the C:\Users\"Your user name"\AppData\Roaming\Spotify folder. and it work fine.

Spotify won't uninstall or reinstall.

Suggested posts