Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't open!

Solved!

Spotify won't open!

I've just recently started using Spotify in the past month and I love it! However, all of a sudden its not working anymore!

I haven't done anything new or recent to my computer, everything is up to date.

Basically what it does is... it acts like its trying to open like normal (either when prompted or on start up) and then it freezes for a moment and then completely shuts itself down. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, as well as installing an older version.

It's still not working. Now it takes me to the login screen and prompts me to login. When I put in the correct information it acts like its trying to log in before completely shutting itself down again.

Help?

I'm using Windows 7.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

yeah, alright, ill try that a couple more times! cheers

So yeah, same as the other guys, couple times uninstalling and rebooting and reinstalling sorted the issue. so for people reading other threads, theres NO NEED TO DO A CLEAN INSTALL OF YOUR OPERATINGSYSTEM 😉

View solution in original post

59 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

That is very strange! 

Firstly and most importantly, so you aren't without your music check out the web player as a temporary fix: https://play.spotify.com/ 

Now, troubleshooting! Are you logging in using Facebook or a Spotify username? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks for the quick fix with the web player!

I'm using my manual log in. While it does provide an option to login with facebook, clicking the button literally does nothing. 

The button acts as an image not a login, if that makes sense. It doesn't change the screen, or open a new one. It doesn't even click.

@iiRenity wrote:

Thanks for the quick fix with the web player!

I'm using my manual log in. While it does provide an option to login with facebook, clicking the button literally does nothing. 

The button acts as an image not a login, if that makes sense. It doesn't change the screen, or open a new one. It doesn't even click.

Yeah that is correct, you get Facebook login automatically if you use your Facebook email address to login, rather than your Spotify username and password 😉 

Would it be possible to try creating a new account (or borrowing one) and see if another account can log in? 

Peter

Peter

Tried using a friend's account and it did the same thing.

Okay, that rules out an account issue. 

Can you try another clean reinstallation of the client making sure to restart your computer between uninstalling and reinstalling? 

Also, can you try disabling any security software or firewall you have temporarily to see if that makes a difference? 

Another trick worth trying is to right click the desktop icon and select "Run as Administrator" and see if that makes any difference? 

Peter

Peter

Tried all those things and still no luck. It does the same thing over and over.

*le sigh* At least the windows player link works for me.

Can you open Windows Event Viewer (Start > Event Viewer) and see if any errors are being logged for the crash? 

Peter

Peter

I'm having the exact same problem. Nothing fixes it it seems. What the hell am I paying for.

@jason3011 - This is a pretty old topic. What operating system are you using? 

Peter

Peter

I'm having the same. I've got my spotify starting up: icon flashes for 1-2 sec as if its actually starting, then nothing. And I can repeat that infinitely. I've had this problem for quite long time now. Sometimes all it needed was a reboot or just account restart, but now nothing helps.

I'm on Windows7.

@jtot - Have you tried a clean reinstallation of the client at all? 

Peter

Peter

I'm having the same problem.  I've done all the things suggested here but it still only shows the splash screen then it goes away.

What device and operating system are you using @roblime ?

Having the same issue. Really bugging me. Using Mac OS X 10.6.8 and tried the reinstall a couple times. It just flashes up for a second and then closes. 

Has anyone found a fix for this issue? I just recently started experiencing it on my Mac OSX 10.9.2  

Try the steps here:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Spotify-Crashing-on-Startup-OSX-Mavericks...

Peter

happening for me too now... tried all the previously suggested things posted here. Nothing helps. running win7.

I finally uninstalled rebooted and re-installed spotify and it works now.

Having the same issue, tried re-installing, didn't help.

Win 8

EDIT: After re-installing for the fourth time it worked, nevemind 🙂

Suggested posts