Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't open!

Solved!

Spotify won't open!

I've just recently started using Spotify in the past month and I love it! However, all of a sudden its not working anymore!

I haven't done anything new or recent to my computer, everything is up to date.

Basically what it does is... it acts like its trying to open like normal (either when prompted or on start up) and then it freezes for a moment and then completely shuts itself down. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, as well as installing an older version.

It's still not working. Now it takes me to the login screen and prompts me to login. When I put in the correct information it acts like its trying to log in before completely shutting itself down again.

Help?

I'm using Windows 7.

59 Replies
Marked as solution

yeah, alright, ill try that a couple more times! cheers

So yeah, same as the other guys, couple times uninstalling and rebooting and reinstalling sorted the issue. so for people reading other threads, theres NO NEED TO DO A CLEAN INSTALL OF YOUR OPERATINGSYSTEM 😉

I've been having a very similar issue too and it's really been ticking me off. I have my spotify on my laptop which works fine (it's automatically logged into mine every time it opens) but whenever I tried logging in on another user on my laptop or on an other computer entierly it would either open and shut down or open and freeze until i have to restart my computer. I realized the difference is I have to log in when im on a different user or computer, so when I logged in this time I used my facebook account's email (since it's connected to my facebook) and it got me in with no problems. I think it's an issue with the spotify accounts.

try killing spotify* processes in task manager and then renaming C:\Users\<your_username>\AppData\Local\Spotify to something else (i.e.: Spotify_old) and restart Spotify - worked for me

(I didn't remember commenting on this but whatever lol)
I actually solved my problem, not quite sure how (It was a while ago) but it was fixed. I think for some reason it just wasn't letting me log in through facebook like it's supposed to because my accounts are linked, so I had to just type out my email the account was on as the username and the password instead. I don't know if that's what your issue was but hope it helps (If you're still having this issue at this point). 

Thanks alot, deleting folder from ../Local/ actually helped! 

Having the same issue running 2 seconds then closing

In C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Spotify\ I get a couple of .dmp (minidump) files. 

Giving the following error

0xC0000005

The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does have the appropriate access.

This seems to be caused by a corrupt database file called 

mercury.db

Quick fix is to rename the spotify folder. More advanced fix is to do a cleanup of the database.

THAT WORKED FOR ME! 

Windows 8.1 

I'm using windows eight point one, now that I have the web app I'm happier than hell; butI can't get the program to run anymore.it says an error.

http://gyazo.com/a013fc9867f66aff6f1c6a7378bc5aa6

any fixes? I did a clean install!:)

I am using Windows 8 and have uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times. I have restarted between the uninstallation and the reinstallation process as well as added it to apps in the windows firewall. It won't even open for me. It won't show up in the processes and when I check the event log this is what I see for an error:

Faulting application name: spotify.exe, version: 0.9.14.13, time stamp: 0x542a79d1
Faulting module name: USER32.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17344, time stamp: 0x541b75dd
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000093b7
Faulting process id: 0xe5c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d005587e80bf70
Faulting application path: C:\Users\COMPUTERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\spotify.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\USER32.dll
Report Id: bc41d1f0-714b-11e4-8278-7824af45ddcc
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Anyone have any advice for a permanent fix?

If you're having trouble finding this, an easy short cut is pressing the windows button and R at the same time, then typing in %appdata% then you can delete all your data and reinstall

Thanks for the help - i dint ask, but came across your assistance for another who shared my prediciment - all better now Many thanks

It looks like this issue, a not starting spotify, is occuring to me like every week. 

Renaming /local/spotify is doing the trick every time. 

I don't know if the cause is found, but it would be greatly appreciated if it is fixed 🙂

GUYS! I found a fix for Windows! Run as administratorr, it worked for me!

Just had the issue. Used "Adwcleaner" made the restart and now it works fine again. Windows 8.1 x64. Also how many of you are running AVG anti-virus? Adwcleaner removed a bunch of junk toolbars from AVG.

I just went into the file and clicked on the "SpotifyLauncher"

I am on windows 8.1

I just got an account and now it says it wont open. And i have a window 7 too

Not Open spotify in my macbook Pro, help plz os 10.11.4

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Снимок экрана 2016-02-06 в 13.53.07.png

delete russian localization from spotify and everyting will work fine

Говорю по-русски)
Speaking English)

how? to do?

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

You are using Win or Mac?