Premium

Country

United States

Device

Desktop 

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

For the past couple of months, no new song releases have played on my Spotify app. I can listen to new releases through my browser and my phone, yet my Spotify app on my desktop will not play any new songs. I have tried uninstalling, logging out, and clearing the cache but none of these have solved the issue. All songs that were released before early September 2022 will play perfectly fine. I have been using Spotify since 2017 and this is the first time this has happened to me.

song wont play.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

After many days of research, I have finally found the cause and solution to my problem.

Upon opening the System Information application I received the error "Can't Collect Information. Cannot access the Windows Management Instrumentation software. Windows Management files may be moved or missing." (See attachment) I then navigated to system32\wbem\repository and found a "Corrupted.rec" file which was created during a Windows update back in October.

Location of corrupted Windows file, the cause of my issue.Location of corrupted Windows file, the cause of my issue.

Realizing my Windows repository was corrupted, I opened command prompt as Administrator and ran the following command: "winmgmt /resetrepository"

Command Prompt lines that solved my issue.Command Prompt lines that solved my issue.

After doing so, all program features I have been having over the last couple of months were instantly fixed. This is the reason my Spotify was not working properly as well as many other applications. Thank you for your help!

Spotify finally works after nearly 2 months!Spotify finally works after nearly 2 months!

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Hey @saltinnee,

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community. It sounds like you've tried a couple of things already, but let's try some more troubleshooting.

First up, try logging in with a different account to see if the issue persists. If you don't have another one available, create a free account for testing purposes and try starting a playback on the very same songs to see if you'll experience the same.

Secondly, check that the proxy settings in your Desktop app - they should be set to default (auto-detect settings).

Lastly, disable any antivirus or ad-blocking software that might be affecting the app, and turn off VPN if in use.

On another note, can you let us know which source you used to download Desktop App? If you have downloaded from the Windows Apps store, could you try getting it from our web site and vice versa?

Hope something here helps. Let us know how it goes. 

LyubkaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Marked as solution

After many days of research, I have finally found the cause and solution to my problem.

Upon opening the System Information application I received the error "Can't Collect Information. Cannot access the Windows Management Instrumentation software. Windows Management files may be moved or missing." (See attachment) I then navigated to system32\wbem\repository and found a "Corrupted.rec" file which was created during a Windows update back in October.

Location of corrupted Windows file, the cause of my issue.Location of corrupted Windows file, the cause of my issue.

Realizing my Windows repository was corrupted, I opened command prompt as Administrator and ran the following command: "winmgmt /resetrepository"

Command Prompt lines that solved my issue.Command Prompt lines that solved my issue.

After doing so, all program features I have been having over the last couple of months were instantly fixed. This is the reason my Spotify was not working properly as well as many other applications. Thank you for your help!

Spotify finally works after nearly 2 months!Spotify finally works after nearly 2 months!

Hi there @saltinnee,

Thanks for sharing this info and workaround in the Community 🙂

I'm sure many users facing similar issues will find it helpful.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts