Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't play

Solved!

Spotify won't play

I'm a premium member, no prob's with account or subscription, internet connction is fine, but when I push play, nothing happens. The play button changes to pause, and the playback bar starts at 0.00, but then nothing happens. In the past, I have just closed Spotify and restarted or reinstalled, but this time it is not working. It plays fine on my work computer, but not on my laptop. Has anyone else experienced this?

32 Replies

Also worth a shot at going to Edit > Preferences > Playback > Untick Enable Hardware Acceleration if you are using windows and see if that makes any difference? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

I was having the same issue, pressed play but it wouldn't start moving the ticker for the track playing.  I did a clean install and that didn't fix it, neither did disabling hardware acceleration in Preferences.  I ended up going to the Control Panel (Win 7 64-bit) then Sound.  It popped up a message about there being an issue with one of my audio issues and gave me the option of disabling the feature so I clicked yes.  Closed out of Control Panel and closed/opened Spotify and it was working again for me.  Hope this helps someone

Clearly this didnt solve your problem. I click on the solved problem link under your problem, only to be led to a unfortunate un-problem-sovling-solution. Then i see your reply to and  under his "un-problem-sovling-solution" response.

POTENTIAL SOLUTION: Simply log out and relog back in. I am not certain this will work, however it worked for me so I feel like i must let you know so that you can try it.

Goodluck & Happy Listening! (in one form or another happy listening!)

Thanks, ks_it_guy!

Your solution did the trick. Windows 8: Control Panel > Hardware & Sound > Manage Sound Devices. It found an error. I accepted to disable. And it worked!!! 🙂

@ks_it_guy wrote:

..... I ended up going to the Control Panel (Win 7 64-bit) then Sound.  It popped up a message about there being an issue with one of my audio issues and gave me the option of disabling the feature so I clicked yes.  Closed out of Control Panel and closed/opened Spotify and it was working again for me.  Hope this helps someone

This has been the only thing that worked for me.  Was in the process of uninstalling/reinstalling when I found this.  Opened sound, got the popup you mentioned.  Clicked yes.  Said no to uninstall, and spotify played.  Weird.

I  logged out and logged back in and still hear nothing. I looked in Sound and got no message. Can hear other programs, just not Spotify. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

What operating system are you using?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

I had Sound enhancements activated. This jammed up Spotify. I turned off the enhancements at Sounds  - Playback tab - Speaker (double click) Enhancements.

Not really the first place to look.... But solved.

Thanks everyone for trying to help me.

Windows 2007

THANK YOU!!!!! I was going crazy! lol

I have a chromebook, which gives me very limited settings, and I can't seem to access my sound settings. When I hit play on spotify (my laptop doesnt have ability to download things therefore its only the web player) it shows the pause button but the side bar containing the skip and album cover does not come up.

Thank you for posting this about the Sound Enhancements. I wouldn't have known to check "Sound" in Control Panel if you hadn't mentioned it. Sure enough, I also had Sound Enhanecments activated.  Once deactivated, I can listen to Spotify again. Thank you!

Thank you! This worked for me! Bonus, I've turned off Skype noises which I find annoying.

Suggested posts