Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't show on taskbar, but has an icon in system tray, Spotify and DisplayFusion problem

Solved!

Spotify won't show on taskbar, but has an icon in system tray, Spotify and DisplayFusion problem

My problem is as stated in the title.
Spotify works fine for me, besides the fact that it won't show on the taskbar.
I can open Spotify through Alt+Tab, but I can't click it on the taskbar cause there is no icon.
It can also be opened from the system tray icon.
This is not a life breaking problem, but I do like to see which programs are opened by looking to the taskbar.

I've searched through the internet to find solutions, but without luck.

Picture of the problem

Please note that the system tray icon is not sohwn in that picture, but when opened (the system tray) it is there.

spotify problem.JPG

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Try them out one at a time, the most recent first.

http://www.filehorse.com/download-spotify/old-versions/

If you want to keep them from from updating, see this post of mine:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/To-divide-my-tracks-in-albums-is-that-pos...

Whichever version you find the problem to be, I'd report it to the developers of both programs and let them hash it out.  Its worked for me in the past.

View solution in original post

30 Replies

In the system tray icon, do you have "Hide Spotify from Taskbar when closed" selected? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Nope, it is unchecked

Ps. 2nd picture, i just pinned Spotify to the taskbar to act as a shortcut, but still doesn't stay "highligthed" like other active programs.

spotify unchecked.png

Strange, does a clean reinstallation of the client make any difference? 

Peter

Peter

Tried that as well mate.

I am kind of tech savvy 🙂
Hence i wrote i've searched and tried different things before posting 🙂

Anyway i can help you help me?

Just wondering, if you move the taskbar back to the bottom of the screen does it make any difference? 

Spotify is so tempermental sometimes it wouldn't surprise me haha!

Peter

Peter

No luck either mate 😞

spotify bot taskbar.JPG

Very weird, I've escalated this to the Spotify guys to see if they have any ideas too. 

Peter

Peter

Just had a suggestion from another super user, do you have Spotify set to auto launch but minimised when Windows starts?

Peter

Peter

Nope, should i?

@cervio wrote:

Nope, should i?

No, it was just an old resolved bug where you would get the behaviour you are describing if that option was selected. If you have Spotify set to automatically start with Windows though, it might be worth trying it without that option (and go for a system restart) to see if that makes any difference. 

Peter

Peter

I've used msconfig to turn off startup programs since i like minimal startup times.
So no it isn't set to start up at boot.

I on the other hand don't know if i should try to do the exact opposite and turn it on, reboot and then see what happens. Should i try that?

@cervio wrote:

I've used msconfig to turn off startup programs since i like minimal startup times.
So no it isn't set to start up at boot.

I on the other hand don't know if i should try to do the exact opposite and turn it on, reboot and then see what happens. Should i try that?

Worth a shot - won't do any harm!

Peter

Peter

Still no luck mate 😞

Would like to add that i once agian tried a fresh reinstall and the problem is solved the first startup, but when closed (completely) and restarted, the problem persist

Hey cervio! Before we dig any deeper could you confirm your computer's exact OS and the Spotify version installed? 

We'll then see what we can do. Thanks!

Win 7 Ult. version 6.1.7.601 (64 Bit)
SP1 Build 7601

Spotify version 0.9.4.185.g7545a404

spotify pc specs.JPG

Check the shortcut properties.  Is it possibly set to open minimized to the system tray?  Worth a look, I guess.  Behavior would indicate that it is.  I have iTunes set to do that so it will not appear on the screen at startup, but still keep my podcast downloads up to date.  I can't remember exactly how I did it, but I found the instructions on Google.

Not either, but i seem to have found the problem now.
I am running a software called DisplayFusion, which grants me more options to controlling dual monitor, such as wallpaper, screensaver and much more.
What strikes me as odd is that Spotify is the only program affected, none of the many other programs are unaffected by this software

I discovered this during the weekend where i attended a LAN party and thought that a dual mon setup would be too much of a hassle.
I then opened spotify while only having one monitor and it showed on the taskbar just fine, even after reboots.

So i think i have isolated the cause, now comes the part whether or not the Spotify crew will help me solve it, which i dearly hope you will 🙂

Edited title so other with same problem have a better chance to find this thread.

Wondering is this related to standard window behaviour, have you been pushed to v0.9.6 which contained a long awaited fix for window behaviour on Windows? 

Peter

I must admit, i am clueless as to what you are talking about.
v0.9.6 of what? And if so, how to check version of said thing?

If you are referring to DisplayFusion, i am running v.5.1.0

Suggested posts