Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't show on taskbar, but has an icon in system tray, Spotify and DisplayFusion problem

Solved!

Spotify won't show on taskbar, but has an icon in system tray, Spotify and DisplayFusion problem

My problem is as stated in the title.
Spotify works fine for me, besides the fact that it won't show on the taskbar.
I can open Spotify through Alt+Tab, but I can't click it on the taskbar cause there is no icon.
It can also be opened from the system tray icon.
This is not a life breaking problem, but I do like to see which programs are opened by looking to the taskbar.

I've searched through the internet to find solutions, but without luck.

Picture of the problem

Please note that the system tray icon is not sohwn in that picture, but when opened (the system tray) it is there.

spotify problem.JPG
30 Replies

Spotify version.  Help > About.  Clicking on the version number copies.

A new version of Spotify was released in the last few days that [according to Peter] corrects various behavioral quirks and changes them to Windows standard behavior.  And what Peter is suggesting is whether the new version corrected your problem or not.

Just go to spotify.com/download, it should bring you up to 0.9.6

Community Ergo Sum

@Goodman wrote:

Just go to spotify.com/download, it should bring you up to 0.9.6

The question, of course, is not whether you can download, but whether the new version corrected your problem or not.

I currently have the 0.9.6.72.ge389c074 installed and the problem persists

Have you tried turning off the Fusion thing and seeing whether the problem goes away? 

If if doesn't, then try starting in Safe Mode with Networking.  If the problem goes away, then its something else that is loading on startup.

Start turning off startup programs and services one by one and see where the problem lies. If you can't identify an item, look it up on Google.

Its called troubleshooting.  There is really no other way of determining the root cause. 

[wow, deja vu]

Without soudning rude, i did say earlier that the problem is related to DisplayFusion, though at the start of using the program(DisplayFusion) it worked fine and it(Spotify) showed on the taskbar.

Seems odd though, that from day to day Spotify started acting up.

Remember, anyone helping you here is doing so from a 3rd party perspective.

There has been a new version released the last few days.  The reason I suggest Disply Fusion is to eliminate the most obvious first before going on a wild goose chase.  Trust me, I've been there, spending hours hunting down a solution, when it was actually the most obvious one that was overlooked.

If Display Fusion is indeed the problem, then it gives the developers something to work with.  ASAIC, its the developers JOB to assure that their software plays nice with others.

cervio wrote:

i did say earlier that the problem is related to DisplayFusion, though at the start of using the program(DisplayFusion) it worked fine and it(Spotify) showed on the taskbar.

Seems odd though, that from day to day Spotify started acting up.

Check it out again.  I think you've already stated you've updated to 0.9.6.  If so, and if unloading Display Fustion solves the problem, then we've got a solid case of a bug to report to the devs.

I know that and i appreciate the help.

DisplayFusion is indeed the problem and i am starting to consider writing on their forum aswell.

@Rollo_ is on the ball here, it sounds much more likely this is a bug with DisplayFusion rather than Spotify itself although notably it is strange it only effects Spotify. Did this start happening on v0.9.4 do you think? There was a Spotify framework change (CEF 1 --> 3) between v0.9.1 --> v0.9.4.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Might have been an update on Spotify that did it, i can't tell for sure.
Anyway to install older version and test it?

Marked as solution

Try them out one at a time, the most recent first.

http://www.filehorse.com/download-spotify/old-versions/

If you want to keep them from from updating, see this post of mine:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/To-divide-my-tracks-in-albums-is-that-pos...

Whichever version you find the problem to be, I'd report it to the developers of both programs and let them hash it out.  Its worked for me in the past.

Suggested posts