Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't start after latest update(Windows)

Solved!

Spotify won't start after latest update(Windows)

Hey guys,

I've got a problem. A few days ago a update notification poped up, so I instantly installed it to see all new features etc.

After installing new version when I try to open Spotify, it crashes as soon as I click icon on desktop.

I saw other forum topics about this problem, and any solution haven't worked. I tried clean installation, logging out before updating, deleting program's cache, disabling hardware acceleration and none of this worked.

If I want to use Spotify, I must downgrade to previous version. But after closing application and launching it again, it updates and problem still occurs.

Is there anyone who got this issue too?

Edit:

Crash don't create any crash dump file, and windows says problem is caused by kernelbase.dll

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey, I was having this same problem. I'd have to uninstall spotify and re-install and older version, but when i restarted my PC, it would update spotify and it would break again 😛 I was hoever, able to fix it by changing its compatability settings 😄 This might work for you, but I'm not making any garuntees. (I'm on Windows 7 by the way)

1) Navigate to spotify.exe, or the spotify.exe shortcut.
2) Right click the icon and navigate to the "Properties" option. (should be near the bottom of the pop-up)
3) Click "Properties" and navigate to the "Compatability" tab on the top of the pop-up.
4) Click "Compatability" and navigate to the "Compatability Mode" section. 

5) Check "Run this program in compatability mode for:" and select your OS. (Mine was Windows 7, I'm not entirely sure how this would work if you're using Windows 8 or otherwise)
6) Navigate to the "Privelage Level" section and check "Run this program as an administrator"
7) Click "Apply" and "Okay"

😎 Try starting up spotify again. (Hopefully it will start up with the new update!)

I'm not sure WHY this works, but it did for me.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

19 Replies

Have you already tried a clean install?

Try a complete reinstall:

1. Uninstall Spotify: Start > Control Panel > Programs / Uninstall a Program > Spotify
  2. Find your AppData folder and delete all Spotify data. 
    Start, run, type: %appdata% and hit enter
    You probably see 4 folders; enter each and see if they contain a folder called Spotify. Delete the entire Spotify folder.
  3. Restart your computer at this point.
  4. Reinstall Spotify (download)
MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

When I do a clean installation it installs version 0.9.15.27.g87efe634 and it works fine. But when I update to 1.0.1.1060 it crashes again, so problem isn't solved.

Yup I have this problem too. I can't seem to fix it. I've tried the same stuff as you 😞

Marked as solution

Hey, I was having this same problem. I'd have to uninstall spotify and re-install and older version, but when i restarted my PC, it would update spotify and it would break again 😛 I was hoever, able to fix it by changing its compatability settings 😄 This might work for you, but I'm not making any garuntees. (I'm on Windows 7 by the way)

1) Navigate to spotify.exe, or the spotify.exe shortcut.
2) Right click the icon and navigate to the "Properties" option. (should be near the bottom of the pop-up)
3) Click "Properties" and navigate to the "Compatability" tab on the top of the pop-up.
4) Click "Compatability" and navigate to the "Compatability Mode" section. 

5) Check "Run this program in compatability mode for:" and select your OS. (Mine was Windows 7, I'm not entirely sure how this would work if you're using Windows 8 or otherwise)
6) Navigate to the "Privelage Level" section and check "Run this program as an administrator"
7) Click "Apply" and "Okay"

😎 Try starting up spotify again. (Hopefully it will start up with the new update!)

I'm not sure WHY this works, but it did for me.

Hope this helps!

Youre my hero. Thx!!!

Problem solved, thanks for your help 🙂

Thank you sir!

@Omega_Pup Thanks so much! 

omg i had this problem for so long now and you finally fixed it for me

i love you stranger

Nice one, fixed me up.

Thanks,

This worked for me.  Upgraded to windows 10 recently, so I set the compatibility mode to windows 7 and it worked fine.

Hey!

I have also a problem after update. Program starts, but I do not have anything inside. It remains idle, the container window is blank. The solution presented here does not work. Does anyone know what to do?

Me too...
Windows 7

@mezoantropo @blomnik

Spotify told me their tech folks are aware of this issue and they're looking to get it fixed.

For now, you could try the web player as an alternative while this is being looked into.

https://play.spotify.com

Hopefully there will be some good news soon.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

@BlayeeR wrote:

Hey guys,

I've got a problem. A few days ago a update notification poped up, so I instantly installed it to see all new features etc.

After installing new version when I try to open Spotify, it crashes as soon as I click icon on desktop.

I saw other forum topics about this problem, and any solution haven't worked. I tried clean installation, logging out before updating, deleting program's cache, disabling hardware acceleration and none of this worked.

If I want to use Spotify, I must downgrade to previous version. But after closing application and launching it again, it updates and problem still occurs.

Is there anyone who got this issue too?

Edit:

Crash don't create any crash dump file, and windows says problem is caused by kernelbase.dll

I also have the same issue on my windows 10, how to fix it?

Does not work on Windows 10.Win 10 is not listed in compatibiliy mode drop down.

You have to select 'Windows 7' from the compatibility dropdown, even though you're using Windows 10. That means the app will start as if it's running on Windows 7, which fixes this issue somehow.

I had the same issue, and thought I would share my solution if it would be helpful to anyone in the future!I went into settings -> apps ->

I went into settings -> apps -> Spotify -> advanced options -> repair and reset (it worked after I clicked reset).

AT hopethishelps2: thanks for sharing! Can't follow your route: Settings (yes: click on start and select settings icon), Apps (yes, shown as 5th entry on the list), Spotify (no: available options are: Apps & features / Default Apps / Offline maps / Apps for websites), I select: Apss & features, then I get a list of most apps and programs installed on my PC, Spotify is listed to, however with 2 options: Modify or Uninstall.

Seems I am looking in the wrong place?

Suggested posts