Windows 10 (latest update)
My Question or Issue
my spotify just seems to be broken i would click a song on my desktop and it doesnt play i would try and play on my phone and it plays i just get what looks like a black vlynel on a black background when i click on a song or album on my desktop i have tried reinstalling about 5 times also i have tried and web player and i have also tried the non windows store version also my saved songs dont seem to be even showing up on the desktop version!
Solved! Go to Solution.
For people who dont want to click the link this is what helped me!
Spotify-related addresses in hosts, such as
will very likely break your Spotify client.
1. open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
2. go to File - Open and navigate to
3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open.
4. The file is opened. You will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like
0.0.0.0 website.com 127.0.0.1 website2.com
Check for any entries with spotify or fastly in the address. Examples may look like:
0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com 0.0.0.0 prod.b.ssl.us-eu.fastlylb.net
(and any variations inbetween)
5. If you do find any, you can delete the line. You can also add a # in front of the line, that's 'commenting out'.
6. Save your changes. Restart Spotify.
You can also try removing all lines to see what happens.