SpotifyMigrator has stopped working

Solved!

SpotifyMigrator has stopped working

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Spotify seemed to have migrated itself over to the windows store app without asking me first, I have the windows store disabled for privacy reasons on my device. I uninstalled the windows store app and re-installed spotify from their downloader, and upon starting it throws an error saying "SpotifyMigrator has stopped working".

If I go to event viewer, it shows "Failure to instantiate storage folder C:\Users\[myusername]\AppData\Local\Packages\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_zpdnekdrzrea0\LocalState for package SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_zpdnekdrzrea0 with Error Code: -2147023898"

I can't even uninstall it now, since it tried to migrate my data then as well.

Whats going on here, and how do I correct it?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi,

I uninstalled with IOBit, the uninstalation did not seem to complete fully as it stopped when it crashed from SpotifyMigrator.exe. I reinstalled and upon startup it still crashes with the migrator.

Spotify Version: Unknown, whatever version is downloaded from here 

Windows Version: 10.0.16299 Build 16299

It seems that upon uninstalling the windows store version, all the files remain. And the SpotifyMigrator.exe in the WindowsApps (C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_1.84.344.0_x86__zpdnekdrzrea0\SpotifyMigrator.exe) folder seems to be executed, even though I installed spotify from the actual download....

Uninstalling spotify does not delete these files, and the windows store version seems to always stick around even after uninstalling.  

Problems with the Spotify install and uninstall process:

• It throws an error if the windows store app is installed
  • After uninstalling the windows store app spotify installs from the download
  • The download installs the program AND the windows store app
  • Spotify startup relies on the windows store app SpotifyMigrator.exe
  • Unininstalling Spotify DOES NOT uninstall the windows store app

What I did to fix the problem:

• NOTE: When done, revert WindowsApps subdirectores back to it's original Owner and rever WindowsApps back to it's original owner
    • Owner of Subdirectories and files: SYSTEM
    • Owner of WindowsApps: TrustedInstaller
  • Go to C:\Program Files\
    • Follow instructions here for changing permissions on WindowsApps folder:
    • Find the Spotify folder, right click -> properties ->  security-> advanced
    • Add your user with the "Add" button with full control
    • Delete the Spotify folder
  • Open IOBit and uninstall Spotify
    • This will throw a bunch of errors about being unable to find the SpotifyMigrator.exe file
    • It will eventually get to the actual uninstall prompt it was unable to get to before
  • Download and install spotify

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hey @zongrash, welcome to the Community.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with Spotify!

Please try to uninstall using this software. It is really useful and it really does a wonderful job deleting stubborn programs.

To reinstall it back just follow the steps here.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest!

Marked as solution

Hi,

I uninstalled with IOBit, the uninstalation did not seem to complete fully as it stopped when it crashed from SpotifyMigrator.exe. I reinstalled and upon startup it still crashes with the migrator.

Spotify Version: Unknown, whatever version is downloaded from here 

Windows Version: 10.0.16299 Build 16299

It seems that upon uninstalling the windows store version, all the files remain. And the SpotifyMigrator.exe in the WindowsApps (C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_1.84.344.0_x86__zpdnekdrzrea0\SpotifyMigrator.exe) folder seems to be executed, even though I installed spotify from the actual download....

Uninstalling spotify does not delete these files, and the windows store version seems to always stick around even after uninstalling.  

Problems with the Spotify install and uninstall process:

• It throws an error if the windows store app is installed
  • After uninstalling the windows store app spotify installs from the download
  • The download installs the program AND the windows store app
  • Spotify startup relies on the windows store app SpotifyMigrator.exe
  • Unininstalling Spotify DOES NOT uninstall the windows store app

What I did to fix the problem:

• NOTE: When done, revert WindowsApps subdirectores back to it's original Owner and rever WindowsApps back to it's original owner
    • Owner of Subdirectories and files: SYSTEM
    • Owner of WindowsApps: TrustedInstaller
  • Go to C:\Program Files\
    • Follow instructions here for changing permissions on WindowsApps folder:
    • Find the Spotify folder, right click -> properties ->  security-> advanced
    • Add your user with the "Add" button with full control
    • Delete the Spotify folder
  • Open IOBit and uninstall Spotify
    • This will throw a bunch of errors about being unable to find the SpotifyMigrator.exe file
    • It will eventually get to the actual uninstall prompt it was unable to get to before
  • Download and install spotify

Hey @zongrash

I am sorry to hear that the issue still persists.

You will need to try a more advanced approach to this.

Please as a last try before what I will suggest below try to do everything from SafeMode. It really helps in such cases and if it doesn't continue reading.

Since it is not a good thing to access the WindowsApps folder inside Program Files, it is not impossible but it would mess things up more. I recommend accessing it from a recovery CD which you can easily create and put it on a USB stick then boot up to access that folder. Find Spotify in the WinndowsApps folder and delete everything related to it. If you have uninstalled it try to find and delete any folder that has Spotify in AppData or anywhere else. Empty the temp folders as well (there are 2, on in Windows folder in your local disk and the other one is in AppData>Local).

When you boot up again into Windows open regedit and delete any folder that contains the name Spotify, it also has a search function so it should help you finish up fast in here. Maybe even try to use CCleaner to clean any junk that might have been missed. Finally, retry to download and reinstall Spotify from this Spotify site.

For the software you can either use this one here or just use a Windows ISO if you happen to have one. If you don't want to go all over creating a bootable USB and downloading this software I recommend just getting into Advanced Startup. Click Troubleshoot, then click on Advanced Options. Many options will appear here.

Now you will click on System Image Recovery. It will run a search for it and fail. Click Cancel and then Next. Click Brows and now click Install a Driver. You will get into Windows and have access to any folder therefore you can delete any folder that you want. No restrictions.

If you still need help don't hesitate to give me a shout ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope I was able to help!

automatic-repair-2-640x437.pngxwindows-8-troubleshoot-startup-options.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.hS4iPbZft7.pngxrd_10.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.xdF3KIH5ts.png

Hi Loren,

Thank for the reply, however, I have resolved the issue in my last post. I have the details of the fix listed there.

I will edit my post and provide instructions for restoring the defualt owners back to the folders, additional permissions need not be reverted.

Awesome ๐ŸŽ‰

I mentioned to not change the ownership of that Folder because you might have issues in the future. I hope you won't face any ๐Ÿ™‚

Have a nice day!

Don't forget to mark your answer as the solution so others might use it as a guide if anyone get's a accross such an error ๐Ÿ˜‰

Suggested posts