Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

SpotifySetup Infected with Malware According to VirusTotal

SpotifySetup Infected with Malware According to VirusTotal

Hello,

I recently wiped my hard drives and did a full reinstall of windows on my computer. I went to download Spotify and scanned it using VirusTotal (I scan everything just incase). It had a rating of 1/60 with the result being "Malware.Generic..."

Now I dont want to accuse anyone of purposely infecting users with malware, maybe its just a mistake, maybe a false possitive, or maybe it might be me some how.

However appon doing a google search I came across an artical titled "Use spotify? You may be infect with Malware" but who knows how valid this website or it's writter might be.

Niether Malwarebytes nor SuperAntiSpyware came up as infected, so it just might very well be a false possitive.

I figured I should just bring it up anyways in case people werent aware.

But my main question is should I be worried and how can I get a clean version?

I am not a premium user as it cost too much money (I have a super tight buget.)

Here is the link to VT and my results: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/fdc477f2a1521f87ce0a5c9cdc9855ab4bc6f430b9293908e026a67db55dee4a/...

I have also attached a screen shot with this post.

SpotifyInstallMalware.png
4 Replies

Hey @AntonyIR! Welcome to the Spotify Community!

Hmm, that's odd. This may be a false positive. I'll pass this on to the right folks. Meanwhile, make sure you download Spotify only from spotify.com here. Let me know if there's anything else.

Take care!

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

In the right light Spotify is Malware.

There is a process called SpotifyWebHelper.exe that starts at boot, restarts instantly on killing, couldn't be removed from autostart and probably noone knows for what this process is good for, just like Malware 😄

@Huib Thank you! It probably is a false positive, but I figured it was worth letting people know.

I only download from official sites. I'll definitely keep you posted if anything else happens.

@HetzeFetze

I've known about the SpotifyWebHelper I figured it was about launching the app after logging on to your computer or that it was used for starting up Spotify via web browser without having to wait for it to start up.

I was able to disable mine through Task Manager > Start Up [Tab] > Disable [via right click]. You can also disable it through the options in the app Edit > Preferences. If it continues to start up it's probably one of the following: a bug, still having the app open, or actual malware pretending to be the app. But I dont really know.

If you're really concerned try downloading and running Malwarebytes they offer a limited time pro trial that works wonders.

Suggested posts