Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Surface Goes to Sleep

Surface Goes to Sleep

I've got a Surface Pro 3 (Windows 8.1) and very annoyingly it stops playing music everytime the screen goes to sleep, I'm sure the screen should just turn off without Spotify stopping as well. As soon as I wake it up Spotify resumes playing.

Is this a spotify issue or a Surface issue, I'm sure playing media should continue when the device goes to sleep?

Cheers,

John

81 Replies

Hi ChrisC,

thank you for your reply. As mentioned earlier, we do not have problems with our Surface pro. Spotify does not support connected standby, which is a Windows feature. It could be resolved by building this feature into the windows App. Your reply does not answer any questions we have, since there is only a work around available and some of us already found it. Can you clarify whether spotify is looking into this or ever intends to fix this? If not, I'm sure we'd love to hear that aswell. Thank you. 

This doesn't answer anything. Please read the comments yourself before suggesting answers that are nonexistent. Are you deliberately trying to make us angry!?

--> Again: Could you please give us feedback, whether spotify's programmers are looking into this issue!?!

HI, your solution desn't works!

are there other solutions that allow to turn off the screen?

Thank You!

Just want to make a quick note on here. Pandora works perfectly on Connected Standby on my Surface laptop. I close the laptop and pandora stays playing on the laptop and/or my bluetooth speaker. Why hasn't spotify acknowledged this?

Hey Chris,

Now that Groove music is shutting down and Microsoft is redirecting all its customers (like me) to spotify, is support for connected standby on your roadmap ?  The only reason why I had subscribed to Groove was to take advantage of this on my surface and it worked pretty well.

Enough to force me back to iTunes / Apple music

I think I figured this out without tampering the settings!!! 

So if you're using the spotify desktop app, FULLSCREEN it when you want to just play music on it. NOT maximise the screen but fullscreen option at the bottom right corner.

Hope that helps anyone that was still having issues! x

This does not work with the Surface Pro 4.

This has not been solved!

INteresting it works on my SurfacePro 4

Glad I could help someone!

I wonder what the difference is? I just tried it a few hours ago, and as soon as the screen dimmed, the music stopped. 

I wonder what the difference is? This morning I tried this, and as soon as the screen dimmed, the music stopped.

Are you using the app  and not the website? If so, are you full screening and not maximising the window?

I'm using the Windows app, and I put the app on full screen.

Same problem. The full screen mode does nothing to keep the music from stopping when the screen times out, even when the tablet is actively plugged in and charging.

Highly irritating... not really solved.

Now that Microsoft has stopped its streaming service and has chosen Spotify it's time to flood Microsoft with the issue as well.

Why other players can work with Microsoft?
Unnecessary to flood them, the solution on Spotify side.

Weird thing, but suddenly it works for me! I have to check if it is really in connected standby, but something has changed and it wasn’t me: Power button doesn’t stop the music anymore... No full screen required on my SP5.

Ok, so I found out how to listen to music while the laptop is closed.

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Go to Power and Sleep.
  3. Click on Advanced Power Settings.
  4. Click on Choose what the power button does.
  5. Choose: When lid is closed, do nothing.

Suggested posts