Premium

Country

Israel

Device

Desktop PC & Galaxy Note 8

Operating System

Windows 11 & Android 9

My Question or Issue

I use the Spotify app on both Windows and Android, and I noticed a perpetual bug where my liked songs do not correctly sync between the devices if the Spotify app on my PC remains open or in the background after I put my computer to sleep.

For Spotify QA or developers, here are the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Open the Spotify app on a Windows PC.
  2. Put that PC to sleep while the Spotify app is open or running in the background (taskbar icon is there).
  3. Open Spotify on a different device (in my case, Android).
  4. Like one or multiple songs on the Android app.
  5. Wake the desktop PC and open the Spotify app (do not restart the app or the PC).
  6. Open Liked Songs.
  7. You'll notice that the newly added, deleted or modified songs are not there and have not synced at all to the computer app while the PC was asleep.

Restarting the device/app would sync the songs, but this bug is extremely annoying and has to be fixed, especially that I work on multiple computers and devices and I often put my laptop or PC to sleep only to find that my songs list is inconsistent between my devices.

Thank you in advance.

5 Replies

Hi @Ivan-K,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

We tried this from our end but we couldn't get the same behavior.

Can you log out/in twice. This can sometimes help the with the syncing.

We also recommend that you restart your device and router.

Let us know how it goes.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Logging out and back in does not help. I even tried and was able to reproduce the bug on a different computer.
I simply put my PC to sleep while the Spotify app is open, then add songs to my liked songs on a different device, and wake my PC back on while the Spotify app is still open, and I can see that it never updates the liked songs list. I need to close and re-open the app for it to synchronize.

It looks as though the desktop app does not update the liked songs list when the computer is asleep, and when I wake up the computer the app does not check if the list has changed and thus doesn't sync.

I hope this was helpful, update me if you are able to reproduce the bug.

Hi @Ivan-K,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about this.

We ran some tests from our side and what you mention is actually expected. Whenever you put your PC to sleep, it limits or shuts down some basic functionalities, this is determined by the OS itself. 

This is why it may be necessary to restart the app so it can reconnect to our servers again and synchronize the music that was added or removed. 

Let us know if you have any questions.

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello,

Thank you and I'm glad you were able to reproduce this on your end. That being said, I don't think this is expected or normal behavior. The app (like other music streaming apps) should be able to sync and reconnect itself without needing a manual restart by the user. Perhaps by syncing after user interaction (when the PC is awake).

Hey there @Ivan-K,

Thanks for your reply. 

We understand your frustration with this user experience, so we'd suggest searching in our Idea Exchange board to see if someone else has already suggested a change for this, so you can add your feedback and vote there. If there aren't any ideas about such a change yet, you can create a new idea submission, so others can then vote for it or add feedback to the conversation to show their support. Beforehand, you can familiarize yourself with the guidelines for Idea submissions, so your suggestion gets approved.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts