Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

The Day The Music Died: a fix

The Day The Music Died: a fix

I'm running Spotify from Chrome and Firefox in Windows 7.

Six months ago, I could login to Spotify, navigate just fine . . . but I couldn't play any music. I would press the play arrow on any song, new or playlisted, and nothing would happen. The play controls would not respond in any way.

Searching this forum, I see it's a fairly common problem. I tried all the suggested solutions (cleared cache & cookies, press ctrl + F5, etc.) but nothing worked.

Finally, I tried creating a new account. That account worked just fine.

During a couple months of using the new account, I occasionally tried the old account, but without success. Then, one day, the old account started working again.

Now, after a month of both accounts working just fine, neither account will play any music, exactly the same symptoms as when the first account stopped working.

Again, I ran through the same gamut of solutions, trying them on both Chrome and FireFox, but no luck.

I then opened a third account, and it works perfectly. The old accounts still don't work.

This is clearly a programming bug, and I hope Spotify is able to fix it soon.

5 Replies

Hey @rocklin6977

Did you also try the Spotify Connect button? That can cause exactly that.

All you have to do is find the button on the left of the volume bar and select 'This web player', and that will activate the open web player. 🙂

It's also possible to select the web player from another device, like mobile Spotify, or even another web player open in incognito window or another browser. That may turn out to be helpful too, at least I had this case once.

Let me know if it helped!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Yes, I've tried the Spotify Connect button.

I've never seen it "illuminated" (displaying bright green) when using Chrome, but it was usually illuminated when using Firefox.

However, when the play button "freezes" in either browser, the connect button also doesn't work, i.e., it won't turn green. I've tried the "disconnect from all devices" tip, that didn't change anything.

Right now, I am using the 3rd account in Firefox, I can play music, but the connect button isn't illuminated.

Some setting is being left behind, even when I clear the cache and the cookies, logout, close the browser and reboot the computer: when I reopen Spotify, it displays the last song I played in the timeline when Spotify was working, even if that was months ago.

I'm thinking that this "setting" must be on Spotify's servers, along with my account information and playlist. Perhaps a file or setting there (on the servers) is getting corrupted.

@rocklin6977

Toggling this setting on another device might work.

Also, have you tried flushing your DNS cache?
Open Command Prompt as Administrator and type in

ipconfig /flushdns

Some people have got their web player to work doing this:

1. Point your cursor on the album cover where the play symbol appears.

2. Start clicking fast the play cover button, press F5 for refresh while still clicking fast.

3. Click until the page has fully reloaded.

Then the player is available again for you to use. If it doen't work at the first time try a second one.

This has worked for a few users:

1. Log to the web player

2. Click on your user icon at the bottom left

3. Click on the "Full Website" button

4. Click on any proposed album under "Looking for music?"

Hitting Ctrl+F5 may help as well on both of these methods.

I'm pretty sure the session is 'frozen' for Spotify Connect, rendering the web player unusable. It should be functional on the desktop and mobile Spotify.

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thank you very much. I had this problem no matter which Windows computer I used, however my phone worked fine with the free mobile app. I can't believe the refreshing and jitter-clicking worked, but it did. Thanks again! I was debating making a new account, but now I don't have to.

As soon as I followed a few folders from my old account, this newest account stopped working. That may be coincidence, I don't know. I'm tired of adding new email accounts, then trying to follow my 25 folders of songs.

I may try the desktop application, but I'm not happy about having to install an app on my computer.

Perhaps it's time to make folders of music using links to You Tube, I'm beginning to wonder about the wisdom of having so much of my current music in the Spotify cloud.

Suggested posts