Premium

Country

USA

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Spotify keeps saying: "This playlist is currently empty" to all playlists, Spotify's and mine.  I am not able to play any song.

I tried reinstalling 3 times. Installed Quicktime. Unchecked "Local files" at settings.

Been using Spotify Premium for the past 4 months - Family Plan.

Looking for new solutions.Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@nircaf

Can you try like this:

Step 1. Open your Windows start menu, search for the notepad application and then right click the notepad icon.
Step 2. Choose “Run as administrator” and then, while inside notepad, browse to folder (/windows/system32/drivers/etc) that contains the hosts file.

Now you should be able edit and save that file in the same folder without any issues. Let me know if it works 🙂

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Hey there @nircaf !

This a known bug with the desktop app and Spotify is investigating the issue. There is a workaround which seems to be working for some users. Can you try the following steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope that solves the issue! Let me know if you have further questions. There is also an open issue about this here where you can track it and vote for it so it catches more attention. I hope this will get fixed on Spotify's end soon.

Have a nice day 🙂

Hi @ 

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I tried to edit the file but I get a message "You do not have permission to open this file. see the owner of the file or an administrator"

I went to the folder properties and I do not have "Security" tab to change.

I am connected as the Administator account.

How can I give myself the premission to change it?

Thanks!

Marked as solution

@nircaf

Can you try like this:

Step 1. Open your Windows start menu, search for the notepad application and then right click the notepad icon.
Step 2. Choose “Run as administrator” and then, while inside notepad, browse to folder (/windows/system32/drivers/etc) that contains the hosts file.

Now you should be able edit and save that file in the same folder without any issues. Let me know if it works 🙂

It worked!

@  Thanks a lot.

Why couldn't edit the file directly? 

I am signed in as the administrator and I unchecked the folder "Read-only" option. but still did not have access. how can I gain premission to edit System32 files? 

@nircaf

I am glad it worked out 🙂

I am not sure why you can't edit them directly. Probably something related to Windows's user security protocol.

Hello, I followed these steps and the notepad file did not have any with Spotify in it. I’ve reinstalled the app on my desktop 5 times and still no luck. Windows 10 on PC. Thank you 

Me too, same issue, can't play any song atm, even if I am premium..

And in the hosts file there is no entry about Spotify.

Uninstalled the Windows 10 app and installed the Desktop app, same issue.

Any update on the issue (and not the usual link to the hosts solution which doesn't apply in this case), will be greatly appreciated!

So I don’t know if you’re using a work computer to try this; I was on my work laptop on the office network when I had this problem. When I connected to my home network all of my songs came back (and are still there when on my office network now). Not sure if this is the case for you. I originally uninstalled because my « see what your friends are listening to » sidebar had stopped working. I guess IT had put new security blockers on that part of it. That still doesn’t work at the office but at least I can listen to my songs again at work. Hope this helps 

Suggested posts