Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

This song is not available

This song is not available

So first of all, I did search and found topics about this, but none of them seemed to be exactly the situation that I have here.

I got Spotify today, and started playing around with it. When I got the Desktop app, I saw it was recognizing the music I had on my computer, and further, the playlists I had made using files from my computer. But I started having with it. The first one I managed to solve (it seemed to be playing short clips of some specific songs. I eventually realized that it was actually calling different files- I make music clip quizzes on Sporcle, and instead of the full song, for whatever reason I can't figure out, it was deciding to call the clips I had cut for my quizzes instead). Bizarre, but whatever, I fixed it.

What I can't figure out is this: for specific songs (so far I've only noticed it 1 album I have as well as another additional song by an unrelated artist, but it likely could be more) I get the "This song is not available. If you have it on your computer you can import it." message. So Spotify can't find these songs... Even though it should be playing the files off of my computer

Another couple of oddities:

I decided to check if the songs in question were available for streaming on Spotify. At first it seemed they were, but then I checked again in the middle of writing this, and all but 4 of the songs on the album in question don't work. For the curious, the album is Artificial Heart by Jonathan Coulton. The songs I'm still able to stream on Spotify are Nemeses, Now I Am An Arsonist, Still Alive, and Want You Gone. Interestingly, these 4 are the 4 songs on the album which feature other artists. However, other songs by Jonathan Coulton are available.

-I've been in the process of downloading this album to my phone. These songs do play from my phone properly, but still refuse to play from my desktop.

2 Replies

That's because spotify only have the rights for certain songs from certain artists and that's why you can't play the full album

Then why can't I play the specific songs that could be streamed on Spotify? And since it's clearly pulling the song files from my computer (as my first issue with the clips of songs attests to)... I just don't get it. I figured at that point I was using Spotify as a media player, but I guess not.

Suggested posts