Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Transferring offline files to another computer using the same account

Transferring offline files to another computer using the same account

I have downloaded all of my Spotify playlists for offline playback on one of my computers. However, my other computer is in a location with a really slow internet connection, but I'd still like to play the same offline playlists (logging into the same Spotify Premium account as on my other computer) there as well. Is this possible without having to re-download everything on the slow internet connection?

Can I just copy the Spotify storage cache from one computer to another via a USB stick, or is there another method that works?

Thank you!

7 Replies

How come there's no answer to this yet? Is it possible or not to copy the offline Storage from one computer to another?

Hi, and welcome to the community!

Theoretically it would be possible by copying the cache (you can see where it is stored under Edit>Preferences) onto the other computer. However the account logged in must be premium; and make sure the cache location on the new computer is set to the location where you paste the cache folder from the old one.

I've never tried it (so it may not work depending on the security imposed on the files); but it's probably worth a spin!

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

Hi. Not sure how your original post got overlooked. I see no reason why you couldn't copy the entire contents of your spotify appdata and overwrite the same on your other device. It should work but spotify will still synch with the servers when it starts up on the new machine. I'd be interested to know how it works out for you.

darn, that Anthony's fast 🙂

I couldn't get the offline files to work by simply copying the Storage folder to another computer, even when I tried accessing them with the same account.

In addittion copying the Storage folder resulted in the original computer having to re-sync all the offline files. Some songs it just quickly scanned and made immediately available for offline use, which makes sense the files were already on the HDD. However other songs it had to download all over again, despite them still existing in the Storage folder.

I don't know if there's a work-around for this, but it'd be nice to have a feature where you don't have to download the same files over the net for every computer where you use the same account of Spotify. So long as the account is connected to the net when the music is being played, as per normal offline usage rules, why prevent the cache files from being transferred locally from one computer to another? That would save a lot of bandwidth from both the user and Spotify.

Copying the entire Spotify AppData folder also didn't work. The computer onto which the folder is copied can't use the contents but still has to download all files for offline use.

Hi,

Sorry to hear this didn't work. I suggest you submit this as an idea to the community; and hopefully Spotify can implement a way to do this officially! There is a risk however it can't be implemented due to piracy protection (as you can only have offline files on a max of 3 PCs and that feature may be impossible to implement safely).

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

Posted the idea here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Transfer-offline-files-from-one-device-to-another-on-a...

Please vote it up. It would be extremely helpful for mobile devices with limited data plans, too.

Suggested posts