Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Typing to Find Song in Playlist

Solved!

Typing to Find Song in Playlist

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

PC and Samsung Galaxy

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

So, I used to be able to begin typing the name of a song and it would go directly to that song in my playlist. Why can I no longer do this? Why does Spotify constantly change how it works? 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there!

This sounds like a good idea to implement back into Spotify. I’d suggest starting a new thread in the Community Ideas Exchange.

This’ll allow users, Stars, and Moderators to vote and comment on it.

Let me know, 

Jack 🙂

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I think the design tradeoff of filter bar is that :
Cons
1. You have to hover your mouse to the "x" to delete everytime you want to search something new
2. You cannot specify which keyword you want to search ; is it song, or artist, or album, if you search "One" by Metallica and your playlist has a lot of songs, all of the One Direction songs, One Republic songs will fill up the search result

Pros
If you want to search a word that has multiple replication (e.g. I just want to search all Cobra Starship song in my library), I have to type it multiple times, meanwhile using filter bar, it is easier to yield the result

I still prefer old design tho :''

Marked as solution

Look in google for violet guru search

12 Replies

The same thing's happened to me too! I'm so used to it and it makes searching a song in a playlist so much easier.

Agreed! It is so hard right now to use the filter, so not intuitive

Argh, not again! I can't understand why Spotify keeps removing useful features like this. Scrolling to a specific song is not very easy in playlists with thousands of songs...

I think this recent update **bleep** a lot up. Local songs won't play, it's suddenly laggy.

Doing a fresh install fixes most of this until the program is restarted, though.

Hey @Frostman233,

Do I understand you right? You want to find a song in a playlist by using the filter and then go to exactly the position where it's placed?

If so, you can still do this by typing a song title, artist name etc. in the filter bar at the top of the playlist and click on the song you want. Then click the X on the right of the filter bar, that will delete what you've typed and automatically show up the song you selected in the playlist.

Hope this helps, let me know!

Felix

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one having this issue- I hope y'all had an easier time finding this thread than I did, it took me literally almost twenty minutes of searching various questions and re-wording things until I was able to find something relevant to my actual problem. Hopefully spotify brings back the typing thing soon, I'm so accustomed to just typing the name of a song without having to cmd F before typing it that the lack of this feature is extremely annoying. 

yeah I have no idea why they removed it again. I doubt we're going to get any response so it's time to suffer.

Betreff:

Not sure if we talking about same thing? As an example, I would sort my playlist by title and then click on any song. Once I had clicked on any song, I could begin typing the name of another song (not in any sort of search bar, just typing on keyboard) and Spotify would go directly to that song in the playlist... Hope that makes sense?

Just saw filter bar...

Marked as solution

Hi there!

This sounds like a good idea to implement back into Spotify. I’d suggest starting a new thread in the Community Ideas Exchange.

This’ll allow users, Stars, and Moderators to vote and comment on it.

Let me know, 

Jack 🙂

Marked as solution

I think the design tradeoff of filter bar is that :
Cons
1. You have to hover your mouse to the "x" to delete everytime you want to search something new
2. You cannot specify which keyword you want to search ; is it song, or artist, or album, if you search "One" by Metallica and your playlist has a lot of songs, all of the One Direction songs, One Republic songs will fill up the search result

Pros
If you want to search a word that has multiple replication (e.g. I just want to search all Cobra Starship song in my library), I have to type it multiple times, meanwhile using filter bar, it is easier to yield the result

I still prefer old design tho :''

Marked as solution

Look in google for violet guru search

Suggested posts