Free

Country

Hong Kong

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 7

My Question or Issue

I downloaded mp4 files into the local files, but Spotify isn't detecting them, those files aren't showing up under the local files section. Spotify can detect and play the mp3 files that I already downloaded to the local files previously, but not the mp4 files for some reason. 

The mp4 files are indeed in the designated local files I selected as the source, and they contain no video at all, just audio. The mp4 file can be played with no problem by multiple media players (Quicktime, Windows and VLC) in the form of just audio. The mp4 format should be compatible with Spotify, it ain't from iTunes if that matters.

I've tried installing and associate the files to be used under Quicktime, but it doesn't work. I've installed Quicktime, then deleted and reinstalled Spotify, and it still doesn't work.

I've tried changing the name of the mp4 files to only be contained with English letters, no special symbols, and it still doesn't work.

I converted the files to mp3, and it works perfectly fine, being able to be detected and played by Spotify under the local files section, though under poor quality due to mp3 compression, but still it works, so it isn't some strange stuff within the files that renders it undetectable by Spotify.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Reply

Hey @Megarboh 

MP4 files should indeed be supported when Quicktime is installed, but there are a couple of things you should look out for. 🙂

1. Make sure they don't have DRM-protection.

2. Make sure they're not lossless files (ALAC).

Let me know how you get on!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts