Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to play music

Unable to play music

Hello guys,

first of all sorry, english is not my native language :).

I am experiencing a very strang behavior (for the last 3 months or so) and I have tried almost everything to resolve it, but couldn't find a solution.

My Pc is a custom build gaming machine with Windows 10 Home (64 Bit) and i am using the latest version of the Spotify Desktop App (re-installed today, followed the step's of a clean installation, described in the Spotify help center).

All worked fine for almost one year, however since about 3-4 months ago i am unable to use the spotify desktop app to play my music (I have spotify permium, but turned of streaming with hq for testing purposes and also checked my internet connection multiple times, it also does not work for any downloaded playlists).

The strange thing about this behavior is that, it works just fine when I am using my Headphones (previously logitech g930, now g330). Everything is fine i can stream an listen to music whenever i want, but as soon as i set my speakers (Realtek High definition Audio, connected to an teufel concept e400, which workd just fine all the time) spotify wont play any music at all, it just says that the song I am trying to play is not available (even tho it worked just seconds ago using my headphones).

What makes me even more curious about this behavior, when using the spotify web player (play.spotify.com) i can play my music just fine (boths speakers and headphones) and i can also use the desktop app and spotify connect to select the music within the desktop app (but have to play the music via web player).

I am not the average unexperienced guy who is asking others for help without a good reason, this is literally the first time I have had to ask someone to find a solution for my issue.

As already said, I have reinstalled the Spotify app multiple times, delteted the Spotify cache, tried different streaming qualities etc.

Please let me know if you know how to resolve this issue or if you need and further information.

And once again sorry for my englisch 😕

5 Replies

Hey @Vakrid, welcome to the community1

Your English is great. We'll do our best to help you with this issue.

Does restating the app when you switch audio outputs help at all?

Let's try removing your local files sources at Preferences > Local Files. Just turn off all local files folders that could be active to see if it helps, even if you don't use local files.

If the above doesn't help, let's make sure your audio drivers are up to date. To do so, just follow these steps: 

1. Open Device Manager (Windows + X, or Windows + Break, then Device Manager)
  2. Open/Expand Sound, Video and Game controllers.
  3. Right-click the device and select "Update Driver Software ..."
  4. Select "Search automatically for updated driver software"
  5. Follow guide

Let us know how it goes.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”
― Maria Augusta von Trapp

I have very similar problem to Vakrid, songs don't play when I click on them.  I'm a  Premium subscriber.  I've tried all the troubleshooting suggestions (uninstalling, reinstalling, disabling premium quality, disabling hardware acceleration, re-enabling premium quality), including the 2 you just now gave, and nothing has worked.  My drivers are all up-to-date, and restarting app after switching audio outputs makes no difference.

I think it has something to do with the overlay and/or the queue.  Because sometimes when I click a song, it doesn't play, but the queue playlist will being playing or will cycle rapidly over and over.

Hey @Likeilin, thanks for all the info!

Since you've followed all the troubleshooting steps and are still having this issue, it's best to keep an eye out on this thread.

Our tech folks are looking into this issue and we will update the thread as soon as there's a workaround or when it's resolved.

Cheers 🙂

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”
― Maria Augusta von Trapp

has there been any solutions to this? Mine just started doing this last week. It scrolls thru the playlists/songs really fast but no sound. If I click on a specific song it will show its playing but no sound and I get a message saying "this song is not available, if you have this song on a file you can import it."

Hey,

Sorry for not replying earlier I was on vacation.

Neither of the steps metioned helped me, the issue still persists.

I really don't know what to do anymore.

Thanks for your help anyways 🙂

Suggested posts