Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to remove songs from 'favorite songs'

Solved!

Unable to remove songs from 'favorite songs'

Plan

Premium

Country

The Netherlands

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hi, I'm unable to delete songs from my favorites. I clicked on the checkmark, but they're still in the list. I've tried to re-add them to my favorites and then uncheck them, but that also doesn't work. Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

favorites.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@Barathon

Now it's clear what's going on! 🙂

Let me explain:

Your Library - Songs is for all the songs you've added (by clicking the little + icon, or right-clicking and adding to Your Library). You can add and remove freely.

Your Favourites playlist is made by Spotify for you. You can add songs from there to Your Library, but you cannot edit the playlist itself because it's not made by you.

You can only edit playlists that you've created yourself.
Therefore, the song you've removed from Your Library will no longer appear under Songs, but will still appear in the playlist.

I suggest this article for more information on Your Library. 🙂

If you have questions, feel free to ask!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hey @Barathon

I suggest trying to remove the song using the web player.

Log in, go to Your Library, navigate to the playlist under Playlists section  (it's a playlist, right?), click on the dots on that song and select "Remove from this Playlist".

Looks like the desktop client might be having some issues, so I recommend reinstalling that too by doing the following:

1. Close Spotify and uninstall it.
2. Go to %AppData% in Windows Explorer, and delete any Spotify folders you find in Local and Roaming folders.
3. Restart your computer.

4. Install Spotify.

Note: if you run a Windows Store installation, chances are there is nothing in Appdata. Try resetting the app's data as described here (the Windows Club), and reinstall following the steps in this article.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

Hey @Sebasty

Thanks for the proposed solution, however it doesn't seem to work. In the attachments you can see a screenshot of what it looks like in the web player. It gives me the option to 'Save to your library', but it's already in my library! 😛 I did notice a 'Remove from your library' option, but I think this would remove the entire playlist.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Edit: I just remembered that I contacted Spotify support a little while ago to release my e-mail so I could create a new account with the same e-mail to get rid of the Facebook login, perhaps that has something to do with it? It's still though strange that I can add songs to my Favorites, but not delete them.

Barathon

library_web.PNG

@Barathon

Hm, that's pretty confusing!

Is it still not working when you go to the veb player - Your Library - Songs?

Another thing that could work is going to the desktop client, highlighting that song in your Songs (under Your Library category on the left pane) and hitting the Delete (Del) key on your keyboard.

And yes, the green "Remove From Your Library" button under Play will remove the whole playlist from your library.

I don't think the reused email would cause anything unexpected. 🙂

Let me know what happens!

SebastySpotify Star

@Sebasty

Hey, I'm a bit confused; I can remove songs from 'Songs' (Your Library -> Songs), but what's the difference between this and 'Favorite Songs'? The 'Favorite Songs' is a playlist created by Spotify with the description: 'Your favorite songs, all in one place'. If I add a track to 'Favorite Songs', it also appears in 'Songs', but when I remove a track from 'Songs' it's not removed from 'Favorite Songs'. It's unclear to me what the difference is between this playlist and 'Songs', but I might just start using 'Songs' rather than the playlist since that seems to work better.

Marked as solution

@Barathon

Now it's clear what's going on! 🙂

Let me explain:

Your Library - Songs is for all the songs you've added (by clicking the little + icon, or right-clicking and adding to Your Library). You can add and remove freely.

Your Favourites playlist is made by Spotify for you. You can add songs from there to Your Library, but you cannot edit the playlist itself because it's not made by you.

You can only edit playlists that you've created yourself.
Therefore, the song you've removed from Your Library will no longer appear under Songs, but will still appear in the playlist.

I suggest this article for more information on Your Library. 🙂

If you have questions, feel free to ask!

SebastySpotify Star

Suggested posts