Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unhelpful message: "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer..."

Solved!

Unhelpful message: "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer..."

Plan

Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I have several audio devices installed on my computer. If the device currently playing (on Spotify) has an issue (for example lost Bluetooth connection), the message "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it" pops up.

That message is unhelpful & misleading, as the issue clearly has nothing to do with whether the file is available or not. (I know this because if I reconnect the device, wait a bit, and play the song again all is well.)

I would suggest someone looking into changing the error message to be more helpful. In my case "There was a problem with the audio device" would be much more on point.

spotify.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @johan_zhe 

That same error message pops up when you try to play an unavailable track as well, I often meet this error when I join listening parties in Discord and there is a track not available for me.

I do agree this should be more detailed, or at least split into two things - audio device related or unavailable content related.

I recommend creating a new Idea on this. 🙂

Have a nice day!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

Hey @johan_zhe 

That same error message pops up when you try to play an unavailable track as well, I often meet this error when I join listening parties in Discord and there is a track not available for me.

I do agree this should be more detailed, or at least split into two things - audio device related or unavailable content related.

I recommend creating a new Idea on this. 🙂

Have a nice day!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts