Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unplugging/Replugging Headphones Breaks Desktop App

Unplugging/Replugging Headphones Breaks Desktop App

Family Plan

Premium

The region is set to USA, but I currently live in Ireland

I'm not sure exactly what the device is, but it's running windows 10

My Issue

I was listening to music on my desktop application, and I unplugged my headphones to try to untie a knot in my cord. I didn't pause the music. I plugged them back in about 2 seconds later, and there was no audio. The song was playing, I could tell because the progress bar was moving and the time in the song was going up.

I tried to pause and to restart the song, and nothing happened. I went to a different playlist, and I was met with a loading screen. I tried a different playlist, another loading screen.

I closed the app and waited a few seconds. I tried to open it again, and I got an error message which said something like "Spotify is not responding." I tried a few more times with the same result. In the end, I had to uninstall and reinstall the app.

After reinstalling, I decided to test it again.

I started a song, unplugged the headphones and plugged them back in, and didn't hear anything. The song wouldn't play, but it allowed me to switch to a different playlist and start a new song.

I tried it again and this time I had to restart the app but I was able to open it again. It seems to be caused by the unplugging and plugging in of the headphones but I have no idea why that would do anything.

1 Reply

Hey @SirDurtle

Welcome to the Community, thanks for reaching out about this and letting us know what you've tried.

If you haven't, we'd recommend performing a clean reinstall. This is different than simply reinstalling, as it can help clearing any cache that might be causing issues. 

Also, would you mind letting us know if this issue persists when you log into your account using a different device? Does it happen when a friend or a family member logs into their account from your device?

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts