Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unwanted on screen keyboard when working with physical mouse + keyboard

Unwanted on screen keyboard when working with physical mouse + keyboard

Hi,

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet, running Windows 10 Pro and have installed the Spotify desktop app. I also do have Premium plan activated on this.

At home, I like to connect external display, mouse and keyboard to the tablet.

Usually, Windows will recognize the difference between a touch input and clicking with physical mouse. It will only bring up on screen keyboard when tapping with my fingers on the screen. Clicking a text box with the mouse will just place a cursor and will not bring up additional virtual keyboard. As is expected.

The problem now is: Spotify does not stick to this rule. When I click with my mouse inside the search box, it will bring up unesscary virtual keyboard, blocking half of the screen. This only happens with Spotify. I can click inside address bar of browser, type insider Cortana search, Word, E-Mail, Notepad etc. There never is a virtual keyboard (unless, of coruse, I use my finger instead of the mouse).

I know that it is possible to completly disable on screen keyboard. However, as this is a tablet where I do need it for mobile use on a daily basis, this is not a viable option.

11 Replies

I am having the same problem. Only Spotify will not detect that my tablet is in laptop mode with a mouse connected. 

It makes it impossible to use. 

I'm having the same problem, irritating!

As temporary solution you can disable 'Show the touch keyboard when not in tablet mode and there's no keyboard attached' via All Settings>Type Settings. 

This is a good fix. Thanks!

This is NOT a solution. At least not for my situation. I specifically bought a convertible because I really want to use its special ability to convert it from a notebook to a tablet and back, as I see fit for the current situation. So this is what I do. I regularly disconnect and reconnect the keyboard. Sometimes multiple times per day.

Also, I do not like the tablet mode. Thus, I usually just disconnect the keyboard when I do not need it, but leave Windows in desktop mode.

Being able to  'Show the touch keyboard when not in tablet mode and there's no keyboard attached' is absolutely essential for me. With this option disabled, my PC would be unusable without a keyboard (which is the case about half the time, I am using it).

Of course, if you are using a regular notebook, or a desktop, you can safely disable this option and be done with it. But this does not work for everyone.

Spotify really needs to fix this.

Yeah. Same here. I'm using a Surface Pro with a wireless mouse and keyboard, and the on-screen keyboard keeps popping up every time I try to input text in Spotify's search bar. Please fix this!

Same problem here! I've got the MS Surface Book 2 and it's just started happening. Real irritating

I'm experiencing the same thing. I use a Surface Pro and have it docked with a wireless keyboard and mouse most of the time and only attach the keyboard when I'm out and about.

It should reference the Windows tablet mode on/off flag to determine whether to use OSK, but seems to base its decision on device type instead, which doesn't work for convertibles. Should be an easy fix for the developers if there's enough grumbling! 🙂

I'm having the EXACT same problem on my Surface Pro 3 using the Spotify app.

So what I did to fix this is:

1. Right click the spotify shortcut (you may need to select "Open file location" first if you are going through the start menu)
  2. Click "Properties"
  3. Open "Compatibility" tab
  4. Check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box
  5. Select "Windows 7" in the dropdown below
  6. Click OK

Seems to disable the touch keyboard as I don't believe windows 7 had support for that kind of thing. Note that spotify will never display a touch keyboard now so you can't use it in tablet mode.

I have the same problem with Surface Pro 6 in a dock with external bluetooth keyboard. Haven't encountered any other application that has this problem. Unique to Spotify. Somebody at spotify needs to make this simple fix

Suggested posts