Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Video Podcasts make the screen go black

Video Podcasts make the screen go black

I've tried with and whiteout hardware acceleration. every time i turn on joe rogan the whole screen goes black and i have to CTRL+ALT+Delete out of it.  very annoying, basically i can't watch video podcasts on desktop for some reason 

Plan

Premium

Country

Romania

Device

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming (i7 7700hq  16gb ram, 1050ti )

Operating System

(latest Windows 10)

12 Replies

Hey @berty4all

Help’s here!

First up, check if you experience the same issue after running a clean reinstall of the app on your laptop. We recommend this step as it will get you the latest app version with all necessary updates. 

Another thing worth trying is checking your hosts file for entries that need to be deleted. Follow the steps described here on how you can do that. 

Keep us posted! We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help. 

hi. Ivan.

tried both solutions but the result is the same. black screen.

i do have a 2 screen setup if that makes a difference (laptop + monitor). only the second screen (monitor) (that i have sportify on on) goes black. other screen (laptop) stays on. also PC is responsive, does not freeze, audio works so i can hear the podcast just cant see it or do anything on the screen.
if i open audio podcasts everything works fine, just the video ones are the issue like the JRE podcast.

also, if i open Spotify on my laptop screen, i can see the video just fine, but the second screen (monitor) still goes totally black !

i have all my nvidia drivers freshly updated. also all other device drivers up to date.

Hi @berty4all

Thanks for sending us this information. 

Could you let us know if the issue persists using a different internet connection?

On another note, let us know if this has always happened, or if it started happening after a specific event.

Keep us in the loop!

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi Eni,

I'm not sure how that would help. i have a 100mbps up and down connection constantly. i have a stable wifi, everything works just fine. speed test is showing me 10 even 11mb/s download peaks.   i did create a hotspot from my mobile just to double check but i get the same result. black screen, audio works just fine. 

Also, not sure if this has always happened or not. i've listened to podcasts in the past as well but never tried video podcasts on spotify. ever since joe rogan moved over i've tried to watch his show. i do remember at the beginning being able to watch him but the audio/video sync seemed off or scrolling was bad on the windows app so i continued to watch on youtube. now that i think of it, probably after fullscreening the video once, i think since then i'm getting this black screen issue.

Hi again @berty4all,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

Would you mind attaching a screenshot or a screen recording where we can see exactly what happens with the video on this specific podcast?

If possible, could you log into your account using a different device to see if the issue persists?

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

here's what happens. everything works except for when i'm in extended mode with 2 screens. even then it's fine if i start off with one screen than change to 2 screens. it's very weird.  again, all my drivers are up to date, windows is up to date, i7 etc.. https://photos.app.goo.gl/H4UjqjMmSGoJqzkJA

Hey @berty4all,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We appreciate the time you took to troubleshoot this and share the results with us. We're grateful for the feedback, as we always aim to improve. As we haven’t seen any similar posts about this recently, we feel this is most likely isolated to your device or specific setup. We recommend keeping an eye out for future updates to the app, but can't set a specific timeframe for when this issue will be fixed.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help, we'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I have the same issue but on IOS. Every time i am watching Joe Rogan podcasts in full screen, the screen gets black. Removing full screen it works. Reinstalling the app sometimes fixes it but the problem comes back shortly after. So far I’ve reinstalled it 8-9 times in a couple of weeks. Would love to understand why and how to fix it,

Hey @Cmd105

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Just to confirm, did you make sure to follow these steps when reinstalling the app? 

Also, could you let us know if this happens when you log into your account using a different device?

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

This is not isolated, this is ubiquitous. I wish Spotify would actually address it rather than with reinstall instructions. It's on Android as well. Samsung A50, completely adequate specs. Has been since the introduction of video podcasts from y'all. Clean install, force stop, etc etc etc etc etc most times it's simply playing as a blank screen. It doesn't even default to the podcast art image if the video is not working, it's just a black screen. Spotify, please stop pretending this is isolated. People are upset. You pulled us away from YouTube with promises of a better experience. This is anything but.

Hey @TheWorkingReadr,

Thanks for the post. 

We're aware that some users report issues when it comes to playing video podcasts, however these are not always reproducible on our end, so the issue is most likely related to the users' specific device or account.

Since we can only troubleshoot remotely, the steps we suggest are meant to narrow down the cause of the issue.

A clean reinstall, assures that all app data and account cache are cleared from the phone before reinstalling with the latest app version.

Other things you might want to try are logging in with a free account for test purposes, to check if the issue is account or device related.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts