Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Video overlay is persistent when watching full screen video on second display

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Operating System

Windows 10

Spotify Build

1.1.48.625.g1c87c7f7

My Question or Issue

When watching videos in full screen on my second display, the video overlay that shows the name of the video (for example, the podcast and episode name) as well as the video controls at the bottom of the window are persistent and never disappear. When I watch videos in full screen on my main display, the overlay and video controls disappear after a second or two of not moving the mouse. The overlay and controls take up about a 1/3 of the space in the window and make it really inconvenient to watch anything on the second display. Anyone else have this issue?

Hey folks,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

We've let our developers know about this and they've been looking into it.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again!

Comments
Eni

Hey @iammattp

Welcome to the Community!

First up, we suggest that you disable the option "Show desktop overlay when using media keys" in the app Settings. 

If this doesn't do the trick, it's well worth running a clean reinstall by following these steps and make sure to download the app again from the Microsoft Store.  

Let us know how it goes 🙂

iammattp

I had already disabled that option, and just tried the uninstall/reinstall but it didn't help unfortunately. What else can I try? 

Eni

Hi @iammattp

Thanks for trying it. 

Could you let us know if this has always happened, or if it started happening after a specific event? 

Additionally, would you mind trying it with the web player to check if the issue persists there?

Keep us in the loop!

iammattp

I only started trying to watch video on Spotify about a month ago, and it's happened consistently since then. The web player does not exhibit the issue, only the desktop app. 

One point worth noting - my second display is connected via a Pluggable USB3-to-HDMI adapter, however this shouldn't be an issue since full screen video works on this display with every other app.

Eni

Hey @iammattp

Thanks for your quick reply 🙂 

Could you let us know if this is only happening with the Spotify app or with other streaming apps as well?

Also, sending us a screenshot of what you're seeing on your end would come in handy. 

We'll be waiting for your reply 🙂

iammattp

No, as I mentioned this only happens with the Spotify app. All other apps, full screen video in browsers, etc work as expected on both of my displays. 

Screenshot is attached. The podcast title at the top (including the black gradient overlay) and the video controls at the bottom never go away, unlike on my main display where they disappear after a second or two. 

spotify overlay.PNG
Ver

Hey @iammattp,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

We tried connecting with HDMI, D-Port and VGA but couldn't reproduce this issue on our end. We were not able to test this out with USB3-HDMI adaptor.

Could you try connecting the display directly without using an adaptor? Are there any changes?

Just to double check- which version of the app is running on your PC- from our webpage or Microsoft store?

You can also send us a screen recording of what you're seeing. We'll investigate this further.

Keep us in the loop! We'll be right here if you have any questions.

iammattp

I'm using the latest version downloaded from the Microsoft app store - 1.1.48.625.g1c87c7f7 (Microsoft Store version)

I can't connect the second display directly, as my PC only has one built-in HDMI output (hence why I'm using the adapter in the first place). My main display, which is connected to the built-in HDMI output, does not have this issue. However, every other app works as expected on the second display (including apps with full screen video and similar overlays) so it is not an issue with the adapter, it is an issue with Spotify.

I can make a screen recording but it won't look any different from my screenshot. 

Novy

Hi @iammattp

Thanks for all the info you've provided so far. 

In this case, could you ask a friend or a family member to log into their personal account using the affected device to see if they can replicate it? This will help us see if the issue is related to your account.

Additionally, it would be helpful to have the screen recording of this issue so we can report it to the team in charge.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

iammattp

I made a free account under a different email address and the problem persists, so it does not seem to be related to my user account.

Here's a screen recording of my second display, which shows the issue:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W23SgUXR7AkDkY9a5e1v87oCMB2z5lW0/view?usp=sharing

Here's a screen recording of my first display, which shows how I expect it to work (overlay and controls disappear after a few seconds):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dqXmC_EoDWshy2NLCKPjOBUrEAosxXjB/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for looking into this.