Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Volume changes up and down during all solng

Solved!

Volume changes up and down during all solng

Every time I listen to songs, the volume goes up and down and up and down again.. Anyone know why - and more important, how to fix it?

Thanx..

Anne

100 Replies

This also worked. I had recently began using voice in CS:Go, when I set up my microphone it must have changed this setting. Resetting it to do nothing works fine.

I'm not sure if anyone has elaborated on the Solution to this for Windows 7, however the previous accepted answer is valid in Vista, as windows 7 has different menus and options. I found that going to the Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Manage Audio Devices(under sound)-> your current audio device->properties->advanced->and uncheck allow applications to take exclusive control of this device. 

On my work computer - an HP EliteBook running Windows7 - I solved the problem by accessing the control panel and opening "SRS Premium Sound PRO" which you'll find by setting the contorl panel's view to "Small icons".  

4-15-2014 2-43-18 PM.png

Once the SRS software launches, navigate to the "listening experience" and un-check "Audio Enhancement".  This did the trick for me and made my Spotify experience 431248903214 times better.  

4-15-2014 2-44-22 PM.png

I have also un-checked  "Set the same volume level for all tracks" and "Enable Hardware Acceleration" in my Sportify preferances  (Edit->preferences).  However these Spotify settings alone did not solve the problem for me,  I had to make the above changes in SRS Preium Sound PRO. 

Thanks for the screenshot. I have the same sound-config-software. The volume problem was about to drive me crazy. I too blamed Spotify. Sorry for that Spotify.

Have an HP Envy 15-j116tx running beats audio runing win8.1.  Have tried all the suggestions here:

1.  Disabled 'beats' audio (aka 'enhancements') - did not work and takes away the bass/treble etc

2.  Disabled 'give applications exclusiive access'.....in sound properties

3.  Disabled hardware acceleration in Spotify

4.  Disabled level volume across all tracks in spotify

5.  Tried the web player instead of the app

None worked until I played about with the main volume controls in win8.  Using the webapp set spotifys volume to near max, then toggled down device - speakers in the system tray.   Seemed to work.   Now to try the app.  Nearly went to another service provider......

Right went back to the app version of spotify, enabled the following:

1.  Beats audio (aka 'enhancements') in win

2.  Hardware acceleration in spotify

3.  Allow applications to have exclusive control of this device (and give exclusive mode apps priority) under device.

With volume set realtively high in spotify and set lower in windows volume control - seem to have worked around the volume up and down issues.  Never had the issue under winxp or win7, only win8.1.  Suggest that this issue is a combination of win8 sound managment and spotify sound management clashing - probably something that could be fixed from the Spotify side of things considering I do not have this issue with other streaming apps.

p.s I've set sound > communications to 'do nothing'

Marked as solution

Oh goodness, this was the only thread that helped me solve my volume variability. Thanks for the input, everyone! I usually listen to music while working and the changes in volume was starting to affect my productivity.

I have an HP Elitebook 840 for work and was a bit heartbroken when I couldn't find "SRS Premium Sound PRO" in my Control Panel. BUT WAIT, there's "DTS Audio Control Panel"!

dts.PNG

I clicked on "Listening Experience" and then UNCHECKED THAT SUCKER.

dts2.PNG

All good now! 🙂

I think I've resolved the issue!!!!!!

Tried every thing in this thread - no good.  Finally found something that works!!! (definately not a spotify issue)

Can still use Audio enhancements (i.e. Beats Audio)!! So sound remains good, no other changes required.

This is for an HP envy laptop. Had the same issue wth SkyRim volume up and down, lots of hiss on quiet spots 

Try this:

Device Manager -> sound video and game controllers -> right click IDT High Definaition Audio Codec then uninstall, select 'delete driver software for this device'.  Ok and reboot.

This reverts the codec back to the original microsoft generic CODEC, which works fine.  No more issues in spotify or Skyrim - sound is awesome!!!!

Cheers Daryl

I've had the same problem for a while and only noticed it on certain songs. Every time a bassy song kicked in, the volume would drop, and then it would go back up again and then drop again, and so on.

I tried all the suggestions mentioned in this thread but found the most basic one to work for me. All I have to do is turn the Spotify volume down to about three-quarters and everyting sounds normal.

I can leave all the other settings in place, audio enhancements, set tracks to same volume, hardware acceleration etc. and it all works as long as the Spotify volume isn't on full.

I can't figure out what is automatically limiting the output when it exceeds a certain level, but it's pretty easily fixed by leaving the volume a bit less than full.

I would suggest others try this with all other options enabled because diabling ausio enhancements means you lose equalizer settings and to me the sound quality is terrible without equalizer adjustments.

Also found this in a Google search:

The Spotify Sound Quality issue

Spotify has some issues, which alters how songs sound, and can make the sound quality of some music seem very poor. Spotify users can correct this by turning off the "Set the same volume level for all tracks" option in their Spotify settings.

An example of a song which is badly affected by this setting is: "Relaxation Music part 2: The Origin" by The Amnis Initiative. Check it out here. Bad passages start for example at 2:12, 6:00 or 7:36.

FAQ

Why does the sound cringe on Spotify?

Spotify uses a dynamic compressor, which continuously regulates the output by decreasing the volume when a song reaches a loud part.

What to do?

Turn of the "Set the same volume level for all tracks" option in the preferences menu of your Spotify client.

But in your example, the sound drops out where the song isn't loud at all.

That's true. "The Origin" includes very low sounds only reproduced by subwoofers. If you don't use a sub woofer, you won't detect the volums peaks the compressor reacts to.

Does this happen for everyone?

No, use of the dynamic compressor is an option in your client. We are convinced that almost any user would prefer to turn this option off! For some reason however, the option is turned on by default.

Should I turn this option off?

Yes. Even for songs that aren't as clearly affected as "The Origin", dynamic compression changes the feeling of the song and severely reduces any climax in the music.

But won't the levels of songs across Spotify vary if I turn this option off?

Indeed they will, but they also vary with this option turned on. Compression of the loudest passages hardly solves the problem it claims to solve.

Now what?

Spotify should implement exactly what the name of their option already promises: A proper normalization option that changes the level of each song entirely, rather than adjusting it second by second, reducing peaks in the song. Such an option could include some simple logic to allow for certain climaxes to peak above an average normalization level.

Do feel free to write to Spotify with your feedback, by writing them here.

Hmm if you're running an HP laptop with beats audio (aka Audio enhancements) - removing the IDT high definaition Audio codec temporaily solved the issue of volume changes for me still being able to keep the audio enhancement settings - but after a reboot the issue is back.

So suspecting the IDT codec/driver, found this article: http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-envy-hdx/675228-fix-workaround-beats-audio-volume-problem-levelin... Basically the fix is as follows.  I'll try and report back.

0. Disable this device:

1,  Then make sure the following registry enties exit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IDT\Apo\LFX\LineOut\plugins\SRS]
"idEffect"=dword:00000054
"idEffectType"=dword:00000032
"load"=dword:00000000
"order"=dword:000001f4
"ApoClsId"="{176F4E15-8F7C-4833-ADED-81FAE8CCD186}"

3. Reboot.

I have an HP wih beats audio on it for sound managment and windows 8.1,  I tried all the previous solutions and the only thing that solved (sort of) my problem was to turn the audio all the way up in the spotify application and use the windows audio controller to adjust the volume back down.  In combination wth the above step I set spotify to disable both hardware acceleration and set same volume levels for all songs. i had to do both of the above to avoid the raising/lowering volume issue.  All the windows audio settings are back the default.

if you're using logitech g930s or maybe on any audio device you can go to your control panel>sound&HW>playback>find your device and right click and go to properties>and check the one that says equalizer

Thx man! Worked like a charm!! This has been bugging me forever! /Andreas

That didn't work for me either. It's not youtube, netflix, itunes, only spotify. It does it on my phone too. I'm glad the programming team made it iPhone compatible too. *sarcasm* 

The solution for me was to set the Spotify volume control to max - if you haven´t done that, test it out.

spotifyVolume.PNG

Thanks David, this solved it for me as well!

what about on a mac

This fixed my problem on my HP Elitebook 840 too. Was driving me nuts! Too bad though, the enhanced audio really sounds good; just not the constantly fluctuating volume.

Suggested posts