Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What exactly is the "same volume for all tracks" switch doing?

What exactly is the "same volume for all tracks" switch doing?

Hey folks,

I am new to Spotify Premium. Previously I had my self-maintained collection of music, where I have been using ReplayGain (Album Gain, not Track Gain) to compensate volume differences between albums.

Now I wonder, what exactly the "Same volume for all tracks" is actually doing technically. Is it something like ReplayGain or perhaps the same mechanism, or is it completely different? And, going further, how exactly is the volume compensated (compared to ReplayGain, where you can use the Track Gain or the Album Gain)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

4 Replies

I think it makes sure to not have too much of a difference between two volumes from different songs. Like if your playing "another brick in the wall" and the sound is a little bit higher than say "riders on the storm", which has a softer sound. So it will automaticly correct the sound of both songs to be more equal, volume wise. I think. 

Hi,

thanks for the reply, but it does not really answer my question. To specify it more, let me say it in these words: Is this setting equal to something like ReplayGain? Is the gain reduction calculated via the track gain or the album gain?

@pmattke

According to some Google searches Spotify used to change the dynamic range, but now the program only changes the gain. I can't tell if it's album or track gain though.

This Reddit thread might give some extra information on this.

(This also answers the "why is Spotify desktop app quieter than ...?" question)

Hope that helps. 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi,

thanks, I also already found that reddit thread, but found no information there how the gain reduction would be calculated. Maybe someone knows an album, which has two consecutive & gapless tracks with a high gain difference, so you would hear it if it would be track gain. Otherwise I will try to find an example by myself and report my findings here.

Suggested posts