Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

When hitting the Play button music doesn't start playing!

Solved!

When hitting the Play button music doesn't start playing!

When hitting the "Play" button it changes into a "Pause" button, and a Growl notification is shown with info about the requested song, but nothing else happens. The music doesn't start playing, and the counter stays fixed at 0:00. 

Very annoying!

What to do, to get things working?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@thehipchick wrote:

Same here however I do not get a Growl pop-up. very annoying. Is there a fix for it???

Welcome to the community 🙂

Firstly, have you tried a clean reinstallation of Spotify?

It fixes most small bugs that occur. Also, you should make sure that Spotify is added as an exception in any security/anti-virus/firewall software you are using, as it might be interfering with Spotify's Internet connection!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Yes 🙂
Playlists are stored remotely and will appear again when you sign in after you reinstall. Any offline playlists might need to be synced again but that will happen automatically 🙂

Peter

Peter

View solution in original post

16 Replies

I have the same problem.. is there any solution to this?

Same here however I do not get a Growl pop-up. very annoying. Is there a fix for it???

Marked as solution

@thehipchick wrote:

Welcome to the community 🙂

Firstly, have you tried a clean reinstallation of Spotify?

It fixes most small bugs that occur. Also, you should make sure that Spotify is added as an exception in any security/anti-virus/firewall software you are using, as it might be interfering with Spotify's Internet connection!

Peter

Peter

Thanks hammeh

WIll my playlists be safe - I have quite a lot and don't want to loose them and start from scratch?

Cheers!

Marked as solution

Yes 🙂
Playlists are stored remotely and will appear again when you sign in after you reinstall. Any offline playlists might need to be synced again but that will happen automatically 🙂

Peter

Peter

Cool! Thx again will try hopefully it will fix the issue 😉

Thanks for the solution Peter - it is working again!!!! 😉

Glad I could help 🙂 

Peter

Hi Peter
I have the same problem and a reinstallation doesn't help.
It used to work here in my network, so I think the firewall can't be the problem...
What else can I do?

Thanks in advance!
Ralf

Are you getting any error messages @user-removed ?

Peter

No error messages, it just didn't start playing...
I reinstalled it now (again), and restarted the computer (again) - now it works again!!

Thanks for your quick response...

I have the same problem!

I've reinstalled Spotify 3 times now and I've checked my Firewall.. But it still won't play any songs. 😞

Hello, i have looked on several websites, forums and the spotify help section but do not seem to find an answer.
I have just installed spotify on my computer, it is a HP Pavilion running windows 8 with "previous", "play" and "next" keys on F9, F10 and F11 which work fine with iTunes but not spotify, please help!

Hey Peter, could you help me?

I'm having a strange problem with my Spotify.
I downloaded some songs on my SD card to listen to them offline, but they do not play (or they play for 20 seconds and stop).
The download icon is green, and apparently everything is correct, but I can not play them.
I can only listen to these songs if I'm online, or if I save them all to the phone's memory.

I'm sure this is not a problem with my SD card, since I can take pictures and record videos normally.

I've reinstalled Spotify, cleaned the cache, formatted the SD and still having the issue.

Do you have any idea of what is this?

I have this problem constantly and nothing seems to fix it. I am just playing from Chrome web browser so there is not anything to "re-install"....  It would seem that pushing play and hearing the music is the most basic function of any streaming music service.  

Hi,

just managed to fix the issue with open.spotify.com. I don't fully get why it works but what it worked for me is the following:
1) Log out from all devices.
2) Clear all cookies and cache.
3) Open a spotify link that directly plays a song.
(e.g : open . spotify . com / track / 6PpYc5LlcZSrdY0My0GOib
)

Then playback control buttons should be back. Steps 1 and 2 might be unnecessary.

Suggested posts