Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Whenever I close Spotify, a bunch of random files appear in my downloads (including index.dat)?

Whenever I close Spotify, a bunch of random files appear in my downloads (including index.dat)?

Plan

Free

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

How do I resolve the issue of all these random folders each containing a .FILE file from downloading in my downloads everytime I close Spotify (downloaded version)? They all seem to be connected to a file called index.dat that also likes to redownload.

image.png
8 Replies

Hey @Akayy 

Could you check what is marked as the cache location in Spotify preferences? 🙂

The default should be C:\Users\*USERNAME*\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage 

Those files are Spotify's enrypted storage files for downloaded / cached music.

Let me know how you get on!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for the reply! How would I go about checking this?

Hey @Akayy,

Thanks for getting back to us.

You can check the cache location by opening the advanced settings menu. You can find a detailed guide on how to do this here under the section Desktop.

Hope this is helpful but don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

thank you! mine is listed as under C:\Users\*USERNAME*\Downloads

Hey @Akayy,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Are the files you mention located in the folder set up in the app? If that's the case it's normal that some files and folder get created and removed there for the proper functioning of the app. If not, could you specify the location you find them? We'll be happy to take a closer look then.

Keep us posted, we'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

Mihail Moderator

yes, the strange files appear in my downloads folder and continue to appear every time I close the app

Hey @Akayy,

Thanks for the reply.

Have you tried changing the default location of the memory storage for the app? Those are cache files that the app creates so you'd have easier access to your library/playlists and downloaded songs.

If after you change the storage location from the settings, these cache files still get stored in your Downloads, try running a clean reinstall of the app. Follow the steps from this guide and try to install the app on another partition oh your hard drive.

Keep us posted on how you get on 🙂

AlexModerator

you can also check the file shortcuts>right click on the file>properties>check the box that says "hidden"

Suggested posts