Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why can't I SEARCH FOR MY FRIENDS????!!!!

Why can't I SEARCH FOR MY FRIENDS????!!!!

I can't search for friends to follow.  A certain group of friends are all metal heads, like myself, and I can't find them to follow!

Why is it that when I type in the search bar only artists come up?  That makes perfect sense but it is the only place in the program I can see to search. 

The help page says to use the search bar but it only finds artists...

Is this a bug?  Was it left out of the programming?  When I go to the follow page it has friends suggested (wrong ones), the friends I'm looking for do use Spotify by the way, and are looking for me to follow as well.

12 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Are you connected to Facebook? 

If so, typing the name into your friend into the search box (but not pressing enter) should offer them as a search suggestion under the heading "Users" like below:

users.png

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

If you are not connected to Facebook, and your friends were not either, and you were not mutually following each other before the 0.8.8 client, you may need to manually re-follow them. Anyways, you can reconnect to them by manually going to their user pages (ie, navigate to spotify:user:theirusername in the search box), then following them there. They'll need to follow you back if you want to send music to them.

I agree that this is a bit irritating and I've been making some noise internally about this. 🙂 This is caused by the transition to social features introduced in 0.8.8, but it won't happen again in future client updates.

Hello i just deleted a playlist called "BIGR" can someone help me get it back?

@Playlistlover wrote:

Hello i just deleted a playlist called "BIGR" can someone help me get it back?

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂

Have a read at the official playlist recovery topic for instructions on how to recover your playlist.

Peter

Peter

I'm having trouble finding one of my friends on here. We both signed in using facebook and I see all of my other friends, but when I try to find him its says no user found. Please tell me how to fix this issue. 

@user-removed wrote:

I'm having trouble finding one of my friends on here. We both signed in using facebook and I see all of my other friends, but when I try to find him its says no user found. Please tell me how to fix this issue. 

Easiest way to find them if you are having issues, get them to send you a playlist outside of Spotify. 

Ask them to:

- Right click on one of their playlists in the desktop client, and select Copy Spotify URI.

- Paste that to you via Facebook chat or email or anything really. 

Then you should be able to click the link to open the playlist. Once you've got that you should be able to click their name on the playlist and that will load their profile which you can then follow. 

Peter

Peter

The problem is that the Open link doesn't work correctly or the same on all devices. Someone emails a playlist, you click on it on the Mac and it opens in Chrome saying there's no Flash, but Flash is buillt in to Chrome. You open the link in Firefox and it opens a browswer, not the desktop app. You try to find the person you just became FB friends with in the Desktop app and it won't find them. You get texted a Playlist on your phone and it asks you to open the app and you open it and the song or playlist is nowhere to be found. All of these features would be great if they worked, but they're very frustrating since they don't work.

I'm not connected to Facebook and neither is my friend. It will not let us follow each other. When I search for her it doesnt find her and the same for her. Please help. I really would like to follow her.

i have premium account, and im following some friends and they follow me back all without facebook. my problem is that when im trying to share a song or playlist, I try to find them in the share search bar but it wont find anybody. do i have to connect to facebook for this service? because i DONT want to use facebook for this.

somebody please help or give me back my money!!!

Screen Shot 2016-08-20 at 3.34.29 AM.png

i follow my friends and they follow me back and we still cant send eachother music! we dont use facebook

This is super frustrating. I've tried all the solutions listed here. I don't want to connect to FB. I'm paying for this, why do I also have to surrender personal data to use the service? The main advantage is the social aspect, why are they suppressing it? I don't get it. This will drive me to Apple Music.

I haven't used Spotify in months, because the only reason I signed up was to connect with friends through music. Since it won't connect me to any of my thousands of FB friends, it is utterly useless. Now, I can't even search for friends. And much of my music is not on Spotify. Three strikes, no point.

Suggested posts