Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why does Spotify play random songs when a playlist finishes?

Why does Spotify play random songs when a playlist finishes?

My Question or Issue

At the end of a playlist Spotify will start playing songs that I believe are chosen because they're supposed to be similar to what I was previously listening to.  The problem for me is that they usually aren't that similar to some of my more specialized genres.  It's very annoying to be floating off to sleep listening to something very peaceful and then something very upbeat starts playing.  Is there a way to make the playlist repeat?

5 Replies

Hi @futureme,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community!

I was wondering if you have Autoplay enabled in your settings on Spotify? Autoplay causes Spotify to automatically play similar songs when you reach the end of an album, playlist, or selection of tracks; and you can read about how to disable it in this support article.

As for playing a playlist on repeat, you can read about how to do so in another support article, under “Now Playing options.” On the bottom of the Spotify app, next to the “shuffle,” “skip,” and “play” buttons, you will notice an icon that looks like this:

repeatbutton.png

If you click this button once (such that the icon appears green instead of white), then the playlist or album that you’re playing from will repeat itself after it ends. (Clicking on this button twice will cause just the currently playing song to repeat itself.)

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions.

Have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

so when i click on a playlist, it will play one song from that playlist then play another random song that isnt on the playlist. help meee

Hi @griffiniscool,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community, and welcome!

Can you let me know your device, Spotify version, and the troubleshooting steps you’ve tried so far?

If possible, including a short video/screen recording of this issue would be appreciated as well, which you can attach to your next reply by using the “Insert Video” option in the post editor.

Also, can you check whether the new tracks playing (that aren’t from the current playlist) are possibly left over from being added to the queue during a previous session? You can click the queue icon at the bottom-right of the app screen (while in Now Playing view, if you're using Spotify Premium on the mobile app):

Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 12.19.14 AM.png

You’ll then be able to view these tracks under the Next in queue tab that are taking precedence over the other songs from the playlist (which will in turn be visible under the Next from tab).

I look forward to your reply, and let me know if you have any other questions.

Have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star

I’m having the same issue! I want to hear my playlist. 

Hi @35 and @Hrudd09,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community!

It sounds like perhaps a radio has been added to the queue, which would take precedence over the next songs from your playlist.

Can you check the queue on your app, and then select the "Clear queue" option if there are songs under "Next in queue"?

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 11.14.52 PM.png

You can also read more about how the queue works in this support article

Let me know how this goes, as well as if you have any other questions.

Have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star

Suggested posts