Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why does spotify re-install every time I open it for the past 40 days?

Solved!

Why does spotify re-install every time I open it for the past 40 days?

Why does spotify re-install every time I open it for the past 40 days?  This is getting really annoying!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

On Windows 10 I've found Spotify is installed at C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Spotify.

I've also found there two .exe files, Spotify.ex and SpotifyLauncher.exe.

I just deleted the shortcut from my desktop that points to Spotify.exe and create a new shortcut for SpotifyLauncher. Next time it stops the reinstall stuff and even restarts from the point of the song I was listening on when I las closed it. Hope it helps!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

FIX each time I open Spotify, it re-installs:

1. Unpin current taskbar icon

2. Click your hard drive icon or search in Start for "this pc"

3. Go to C:\Users\[the name of your window's account]\AppData\Roaming\Spotify 

4. Look for the icon called Spotify, between snapshot_blob.bin and spotifycrashservice when sorted alphabetically 

5. Drag the Spotify icon onto your task bar

6. Solved! No more installs each time you open Spotify 

credit to dsaunders74

Edit: added pictures

View solution in original post

Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
32 Replies

Welcome to the Community! Can you provide some more details so I can better assist you, as to what operating system you are using, what version of Spotify you are using?

Sure thing, thanks for the assist.

I am running Windows 7 Pro SP1, 64-bit.

The current Spotify version is 1.0.1.1060.  It is saying to restart to upgrade to the latest version, 1.0.5.178.  Everytime I launch it, it runs the installer again for at least 6 weeks.

I just restarted it by selecting the link in the app itself and it now says it is running version 1.0.5.178.

Thanks,

Dan

Okay, so here's some more information.  When the installer runs, it opens up a new icon on the taskbar, not the one I have pinned.  If I close the freshly installed one and open the one pinned to my taskbar, it reverts to the old version.

Next time it updates, I'll try removing the old pin and pinning the new one.  I'll reply back whether or not this fixes the issue.

Dan

My suggestion worked.  Unpin the old, pin the new.

I found that i was having issues with Spotify trying (and failing) to re-install every time I launched it. 

Navigating to the AppData\Local\Spotify dolder and deleting the Update folder stopped this behaviour.

Hope that helps someone else.

Mike

Thanks that worked for me! 

AND WHAT IS THE ANSWER>?

Same here, this has been ongoing for quite some time and it bothers the **bleep** out of me.

Has anybody figured out how to stop this from happening?  I am not a computer whiz, so i really need some help.  This is tying up my computer at start up - can't use computer while it decides it should install then takes for every to install EVERY TIME I START UP MY COMPUTER!!!!!!!!  I have windows 7 and have been a Premium member for 1-1/2 years....

Dear Spotify Knight,

I need rescuing.  I just posted to this topic?  are you still in the rescue biz?

Thanks

Miranda

This has got to be one of the most frustrating experiences ever. I am a paying costumer and would like to continue to pay. But Spotify is not making this decision easy. The app (on a Win10 machine) "installs" and runs allright. But there are no files to be found. No spotify folder, etc. After I close it, the computer cannot find it, so I have to reinstall. Again. Since the webinterface is a bit naff, I have gone through this a gazillion times the past year. A quick search on the interwebs shows that I and the others on this board and thread are not exactly alone.

So. What is happening? Any solutions? Or any replies? Or is this just ending up in the "archives" of annoying customer rants?

There are two suggestions already. Did you try any of them?

The suggestion to delete the updates folder works a treat!

Since the OP doesn't list the complete path, it is:

C:\\Users\User\AppData\Local\Spotify

That said, my Spotify folder doesn't have an updates folder. Back to the drawing board.

Delete the Update folder, like someone mentioned.

That's the solution.

Except that, as I said, I have no Update folder.

I am in the same situation as you are. I don't have an Update folder and the other suggestion does not work. As a Premium member/subscriber, this issue should not be happening.

It would be great if an  updated solution that does not entail the two previous solutions that do not work could be provided.

Marked as solution

On Windows 10 I've found Spotify is installed at C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Spotify.

I've also found there two .exe files, Spotify.ex and SpotifyLauncher.exe.

I just deleted the shortcut from my desktop that points to Spotify.exe and create a new shortcut for SpotifyLauncher. Next time it stops the reinstall stuff and even restarts from the point of the song I was listening on when I las closed it. Hope it helps!

Suggested posts