Why is my spotify often so slow?

Solved!

Re: Why is my spotify often so slow?

Casual Listener

Search - slow

Scrolling - slow

Loading - slow

Taking "premium" money from my account - fast

None of these issues on my phone.  Only desktop.  

elltydd

This did the trick for me. Huge speed increase with Hardware Acceleration disabled! Who would have thought.

Thanks!

lordbrixton
Casual Listener

Same here. 

On a Mac, at least, the desktop app is an absolute catastrophe. has been for at least a year. Cache has to be manually cleared every week or two or it's completely unusable.

Even then, it's buggy and slow. Just starting up takes ages on a 2017 iMac. Search takes ages using a >280mbps fibre connection. 

Even when I've found what I'm looking for and it's playing, there's a better than 50% chance that the application will lock me out and I can't control playback.

My vote: Pause development on the perfectly good mobile app for a while, fire the entire desktop team and let the iPhone app team take a look at desktop.

lordbrixton
Casual Listener

…oh yeah – and it rarely quits properly. Nearly always needs an additional 'Force Quit' before**bleep** down completely.

Who have you got coding this thing? Work experience kids?

landrogen

Spotify, if you don't care about desktop, then why offer the app at all?

What would make you prioritize this?
Public shaming from a well respected tech tabloid? A celebrity tweet?

Your team needs to take some time from its personal-web-browsing-and-texting-at-work (I assume?) to improve the UX, not from superficial UI design but from smarter, cleaner engineering.

PLEASE!

Sincerely,

Paying Customer

sdrakulich

Voicing my extreme displeasure as well.

The moment I find a service that parallels to my liking, I am switching.

The moment I manage to get my music offloaded, I am ceasing my subscription.

Which will come first?

Dare I ask for an application that loads properly? Humor me, and stop circlejerking over your electron app with distinct feature teams that don't work together. HELLO. That's why your app takes infinitely long to load? You have to index each playlist I have? Are you nuts?

No, no, please, the right solution is clearly having an app that's a black screen for 5 minutes till it loads.

Yes, I've reinstalled with full removal. Yes, I've cleared caches. Multiple times. Yes, I've disabled Hardware Acceleration. Are you delirious with me yet?

I can see how the app works from being an educated front-end user for so long. Your approach is trash, and the good things you've thought of I was suggesting from within 30 minutes of using your app when it came to the US in 2012.

Get your act together.

mcartm2
Music Fan

I have been upset about the Mac Desktop app loading for 3-5 minutes for several years. I learned to just live with until I came here, saw the fix and applied it. For me all I had to do was uncheck "Hardware Acceleration." Is that counterintuitive or what? But it worked and Spotify now loads in just a few seconds. **bleep**!!!

rreto
Casual Listener

This problem is far from being solved, solutions are just workarounds.

I made everything listed here, but searching, playing, skipping and stopping songs (even when I close the application) is painfully slow. I just saw an improvement in the speed when I open, but I don't care, it's unusable.

I'm very upset because developers doesn't take this very seriously.

Updated Solution from a Mac User

dmoney23
Regular

Reply from Stej01:

"For Mac Users:

1.  If you do not have hidden files set to display by default: in Finder, press the Alt/Option key to access the Library folder under the Go menu. If you do have hidden files accessible: in Finder, just go to the Library folder in your user directory.

2. Go the Caches folder and look for the com.spotify.client folder.

3. Delete everything inside the Storage, Data and Browser folders, but not the folders themselves. You can select all of the items by pressing Command + A.

My Two Cents:

Disable Hardware Acceleration, this seemed to fix the issue for me personally. Clearing the local cache is always a good idea though first.

Click on Spotify window > Top Left Select Spotify > Select the Hardware Accelaration option to untick it

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Re: Updated Solution from a Mac User

KevinLance

I've tried all of these fixes, including this one, and have had no change or improvement. I have the latest version of Spotify, and am using a very clean Mac Pro, latest model. There should be zero problem with this, but it's been happening for me for about 6 months. I'm probably going to deactivate my premium account and move to another provider. It's sad because I've been with Spotify for years, but I need it for work as I'm a full time music producer/recording artist and performer, and I cannot have these issues slowing down my work. Good luck to Spotify in the future. I hope they eventually get this issue worked out.

SUGGESTED POSTS