Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why isn't the search returning exactly what you search for?

Why isn't the search returning exactly what you search for?

For example. I search for the band Night. I don't get that. As top result i get Nightwish and when I click see all artists i see lots of other things, but can't find Night. Maybe its somewhere down the list, but its no way to even sort the list!

Plan

Premium

Country

Sweden

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

2020-01-28 11_08_12-Spotify Premium.png
5 Replies

Hey there @Ace666

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

To clarify, if one artist's name consists of only one common word (i.e. 'night'), the search will list all related results including this exact word and it'll be difficult for the app to show the specific artist you're looking for. 

However, we suggest you check this help page in order to explore more advanced search options on Spotify.

Hope you'll find this useful. Let us know if we can help with anything else!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This did not help at all. I'm trying the exact match serach "Night" and still get Nightwish, Nightcall, Nightcore etc, but not Night! Also why isn't it possible to sort the search results?

Hey @Ace666

Thanks for getting back to us!

The option to sort search results is currently not available on Spotify.

There is an existing idea for this in the Idea Exchange which you can add your vote to here. You can read more about how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange here

Just to double-check, have you tried searching not by the artist's name, but by track or album name?

Hope this helps! Let us know if there's anything else you need help with 🙂

It was not possibly to vote on that idea!
Yeah I had to google to find the album name and then search for that on Spotify. A really backward way to find something.

We should at the very least be able to search with quotes or something similar to indicate that we want an exact match! I scrolled down (out of spite) the search results for twenty minutes to find the band BOY with the search term BOY. Couldn't find it. Instead the search showed things like Susan Boyle and people whose surname is Boyd. Ridiculous. With no sort or filter possible on search results the user experience is absolutely abysmal. What if I know only the name of the band? Can't really search with album names then.

Suggested posts