Country

Germany

Device

Desktop PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hi there,
whenever I close Spotify it does not close properly. No matter whether I close it via clicking the X, using the menu or the icon in my system tray, it remains an active task and hogs up to 50% of my CPU. During that time attempting to start another instance of Spotify leads to an error message telling me that Spotify is not responding.

If I end the process "Spotify Premium" via the task manager I am able to once again start Spotify. It once again hogs about 28% of my CPU, though I'm not sure if this has to do with the bug. I assume it is because I have no idea why Spotify (when doing absolutly nothing) would grab that much processing power.

I have already re-installed Spotify multiple times to attempt a fix. No dice, unfortunately.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I got reminded of this question because someone liked it, so I might as well post how it ended. Brace yourselves, because it makes NO **bleep** SENSE.
Shoutout to the support.

So it turns out that my problem got solved by deleting "C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Spotify" and creating a symlink to the new folder "C:\Spotify" in its place (the command to do so is "mklink /j C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Spotify C:\Spotify" - this has to be done from the command line as a User, not as an Administrator).
This basically tells Windows to go to "C:\Spotify" whenever it is trying to access the original folder.

This should not make a difference. This should not work. It makes me immensely angry that it DOES and I do not understand WHY. But in any case, worth a shot if one of you has this exact problem.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

I got reminded of this question because someone liked it, so I might as well post how it ended. Brace yourselves, because it makes NO **bleep** SENSE.
Shoutout to the support.

So it turns out that my problem got solved by deleting "C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Spotify" and creating a symlink to the new folder "C:\Spotify" in its place (the command to do so is "mklink /j C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Spotify C:\Spotify" - this has to be done from the command line as a User, not as an Administrator).
This basically tells Windows to go to "C:\Spotify" whenever it is trying to access the original folder.

This should not make a difference. This should not work. It makes me immensely angry that it DOES and I do not understand WHY. But in any case, worth a shot if one of you has this exact problem.

Suggested posts