Premium

Country

USA

Device

WIndows 10 Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Spotify app eats the CPU on a speedy new desktop machine.   How do I reduce this?

Spotify works fine on my little Android phone.  Why is the Windows version such a CPU hog?  I turned off hardware acceleration and that helped a little.  Spotify is now using 60% of CPU rather than 80%.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Follow Up:

The network guys took a look at my computer and made some changes to how it used the video cards.  I have a Radeon 550 in addition to the integrated video card.  Not sure why, but that fixed the CPU usage problem.  It's now at 15%-20% most of the time - about what you'd expect.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Follow Up:

The network guys took a look at my computer and made some changes to how it used the video cards.  I have a Radeon 550 in addition to the integrated video card.  Not sure why, but that fixed the CPU usage problem.  It's now at 15%-20% most of the time - about what you'd expect.

Second Update:

Machine apparently needs to be rebooted in the morning for the fix to work.  I let the machine go to sleep at the end of the day yesterday and Spotify was borked when I logged back in this morning.

Suggested posts